Anyone had a dog w/yeast infection?

I took one of my dogs to the groomers and they told me he had atheletes foot or a yeast infection. Is there anything I can do about it w/o having to take him to the vet?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 6:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Where is the "infection" at?
    If it's his feet(which it sounds like it might be), have the groomer trim the hair between the toes and under the foot short. Epsom salt soaks three times a day and then apply tinactin or another athletes foot spray twice a day (will also treat a fungal infection) be sure he doesn't lick it off though. Still take him to the vet if you are able to, they will be able to.
    If it's his ears, he should be checked by the vet, there are different causes of ear infections bacterial/fungal each using different treatments. If you really can't take him and he is a floppy eared dog (like a cocker spaniel) you can clean the ears once a day and using monistat twice a day (will help treat the fungal yeast infection). Make sure there isn't any extra hair in there trapping the infection in, your grommer can/should have plucked those hairs and shaved the inside of the ear flap.

GL hope he gets better soon
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Thanks bumblebee. It was a groomer that told me this. It's been a while though,I put some antifungal cream on his feet. He licks at night a lot and sounds like he needs a drink of water,I give it to him and he still does the dry licking. He has his own smell.
    I told this to the vet when I took him in back in October for his vaccinations. He told me if I wanted to bring him for a grooming,they have holistic treatments that can help. I did not do that and here it is July. I saw on drs.Foster and smith they have all natural treatments for digestion,the same good bacteria that is in yogurt. I am thinking of trying that for him. What do you think?
    (My pup is a Corgi)
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If he is licking his feet alot, it could be an allergy...either food or environmental.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010