can using the fan on your central unit be cheaper then running the cool air on it?

I don't have a attic nor basement. all i have is a central unit that has a fan setting. and i was wondering if it would be cheaper to turn the a/c part off and turn on the fan part. Also would if help to pull cool air in at night and when it rains (during the rain we can't open windows because we don't have a covered porch nor a awning)?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 7:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No, it does use less energy just to use the fan and not the ac part. The reason being is that you aren't using the compressor/coolant/all the part that chill the air. Fans are relatively low power items, acs aren't. But remember only using the fan won't cool the air, it will only really move the air.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It does cost less to run the fan.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't think so, I thinks it pulls the same amount of energy for the fan.

Answer by older at 8:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It costs less to use the fan. When I am not using the ac or the heat I will turn the fan on to help circulate the air. We also have ceiling fans and they are a big help.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Check your local power company website. They usually have a section about how to reduce your bill by small things you can do around the house!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It will use less power, but won't be blowing cold air. I don't think it will pull outside air in without the windows open because a/c's are closed, not open to outside, but it will circulate the air inside your house.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010