Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Landmark Egg Bill into Law

Man o man, I sure do hate the taste of an egg that came out of a chicken with no elbow room

More proof of why Cali is bankrupt. Don't they have more important things to do? Thoughts?

The bill, A.B. 1437, requires that all whole eggs sold in California as of Jan. 1, 2015, come from hens able to stand up, fully extend their limbs, lie down and spread their wings without touching each other or the sides of their enclosure, thus requiring cage-free conditions for the birds.

"By signing this bill, Governor Schwarzenegger has taken an important step in protecting animal welfare in a way that will also improve food safety for consumers across California," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. "Californians have made it clear that they don't want unsafe eggs from hens crammed into cages, and we applaud the Legislature and governor for heeding this call."

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There is a huge push by the HSUS to get involved in the animal "welfare" in every state. They want to create a board which would dictate every aspect of the life of every type of farm animal, and household pet in every state. The ultimate goal is to get us all pretty much vegetarian. We have been fighting them off in my state, and now our idiot gov has made a deal with them to put a couple of their members on a board that WE the people of our state voted to create to head these idiots off, so that the HSUS will drop a petition they were claiming to put forward. I do not like where this is going. No we shouldn't abuse our animals, but the thing is we already have the systems in place to deal with these issues. We do not need the HSUS to take over in this manner.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The eggs are tasty until you get sick. It takes healthy hens to produce a quality eggs.

Where will it end, no respect our animals or the land we live on.

I wonder how tasty the fish from the gulf will be...... More and More Corporate Greed.

I commend Arnold, and the people in California,( who voted for this) even in bad times they care. "The righteous man is kind even to his beast"
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's a great step for California. How could anyone suggest that we should abuse and torture another species just because the budget is a little tight? It's a positive step for the chickens and the humans who eat their eggs. It makes me sick that anyone could suggest that this is a bad thing. I guess there are some people who really just don't give a crap about anything but their own little lives.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm guessing that overcrowded conditions can lead to higher incidences of illness and therefore our eggs can become unsafe. Overcrowding of any form of life is never a good thing.Why is that hard to understand?

If farmers want to make more money, they're going to cram as many hens in as they can to make the most out of the space they have.
    I'm not saying they'r evil farmers, but they do it because they have to to make enough money to live on. If they didn't the price of eggs will go up, (and every other product that uses eggs) and then people would bitch and complain.

Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• As I sit here eating my omelette, I'm afraid I am unaware whether the jumbo eggs I used to make my breakfast were from "cramped" hens or the "run free and prosper" variety!! LOL  They're tasty either way! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• So does this law really bring about change - is it going to revamp the chicken warehouses across the country? Or, is it going to raise the price of eggs, one of the few consistently affordable proteins, for families across the country? People don't think they're really going to make sweeping changes to do this, do they? They are going to do the bare minimum to meet the requirements of the law and then double the price of eggs to pay for adding a few windows to those houses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I had fresh-from-the-hen eggs all throughout my childhood. You do know that you can actually wash your eggs before you crack them to cook, right? The germs are on the shells of an intact egg, so washing the egg helps to remove some of the germs. Cracking carefully so as not to break the shell into the interior also helps. And, of course, cooking the eggs thoroughly is your best defense.

Now, I'm not saying we should abuse our chickens. We shouldn't. But of all the things on CA's plate right now, I'm sure this wasn't a top priority.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I do think there are more important things to do.

I am all for SAFER foods...and that includes LESS HORMONES and CHEMICALS PUMPED INTO THE ANIMALS....When you have these places that jam themn into one place, so you think they are taking that into consideration? Nope, they are PUMPING them hens full of SHIT to make more and BIGGER eggs

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• LOL, I agree....waste of money, but that's California for you.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Free range organic eggs really are tastier.

They're trying to pass a law here that people can have chickens in the backyard. I can't say I'm too excited about that smelly mess coming to a neighbourhood near me.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2010