Are you paying for your child/childrens education(s)?

Do you expect them to pay for college? (such as get loans) Are you paying for it? Do you expect them to recieve scholarships?

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, I will not expect my children to pay. If they get a scholarship then good for them. But I will be more than happy to spend as much as I possibly can on my kids' education. I believe it's a parent's responsibility.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I paid for all my three, best investment I have ever made! my youngest son was the only one with a scholarship.

Answer by older at 8:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am happy to pay as much as I possibly can for my children's college educations. I also have no problem with the children taking loans since I think a college education is worth it! In our family we work it out one way or another. As for scholarships.....I never put that kind of pressure on my children. My daughter has gotten scholarships from the schools she attended, as many kids do based on information from the FAFSA. Private schools with high tuition usually give out lots of scholarships. State schools are aleady less expensive and give out far less money. It is an interesting system, actually.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Paid most and they had a couple of loans plus a little scholaship money.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We started a 529 plan for her last month. We're planning on helping, not necessarily being able to pay 100%. I guess it really depends on where she wants to go to college. If she chooses a state school, then we will probably have enough saved to pay most if not all.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I also believe it's a parent's responsibility so yes, I will pay for my kids' college education.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Nope. I am going to try my best to get a job at a college so their education is free though. If that doesn't work I might help out. However, I am paying for their education now and that is what matters.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes. I pay for private school now and for college in the future.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Our first priority is to get ourselves out of debt (not including mortgage), have and 6 months savings, followed by saving for retirement, then we'll work on investing in the children's college education. I can't invest in their eduction if I don't have those other steps done first. Even if we were able to get to step 5, before they get to college age, our investment will be limited seeing the kids are already 8 and 9. Even though we hope to have some investment for their college, we will encourage them to get scholarships and/or grants (you don't pay back grants) and work their way through college. That's exactly what my husband and I did!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I plan on paying for my son's education. My parents paid for college -and said they would pay for law school although I am now paying for that (long story and yes I'm a bit bitter about it). But I think college should be the parent's responsibility if there is any way to do it. I don't think it is a requirement of a parent though - more like a gift. We started his college account even before he was born. When we started getting gifts from showers- any cash went into an account for him. He now has quite a little savings! As soon as we get enough in it we'll be starting a 509 plan.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010