what is the purpose of life, why are we here, what is the point

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Congratulations! You're asking existential questions. The answer is -- you'll figure it out.

For a Christian, the answer to Why am I here? is "To glorify God." That's it. That's the entirety of your purpose as a created being. Both wonderfully simple and wonderfully complex.

As a Christian Existentialist, I work to fulfill that mission by living passionately in a personal relationship with Him -- not my idea of who He is, but accepting that He is who He is, which is not the same as the imaginary icon that people have made of Him. If I'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be a big one, but by the same token, the joy that I receive from life is returned to God.

But that's my experience. The fact that you're asking the questions means that you're on your own journey and I wish you joy as you pursue your answers.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 8:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Why does there have to BE a purpose, point or reason? Why are people so afraid of life just being a mistake and meaningless?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think we are all here for a purpose, some figure it out some don't and go through life trying to figure it out. I know I am here for my family, to help them in any way possible, and some others who might benefit from my help, even strangers. What is the point you ask? to live your life to the fullest because no one knows if there is anything after.

Answer by older at 8:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I wonder this sometimes too. We should live our lifes in the best way we can. Be kind to others and love our families.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i have no idea, love others, be kind, etc all good answers

i think we can guess, but all i know the each of our lives are woven together, think about how just one action has an effect on others, sometimes people we do not even know
    if you had made one different choice ... things in your life would not be the same therefore changing another situation, and so forth
    it is kind of mind boggleing

i think i will find out the reason when i pass, on earth we mortals can guess, have faith or maybe feel like we have a clue, but are really not equiped to KNOW the answers
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We all have a purpose either to save a life to find love have kids everyone has a purpose you need to find yours....being kind to others and having respect is a good start...mine is to be the best mom and wife and to go far in life :)
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 8:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree with fiatpax I can only guess at what I believe we are here for. I think it's to learn to love each other even though we don't understand each other all the time.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Perpetuation of the species is the purpose of life.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't think there is an all encompassing answer to this question. I think each person has their very own puprose....but we never truly know what that purpose is. I do however think, we do have a common pupose. each time we help our brothers and sisters, every time we show compassion and love, every time we extend ourselves for the help of others....we are one step closer to reaching that purpose in life.

I believe we are all sharing this earth together. And it is part of our pupose to be the best copassionate, human beings we can be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• 42
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2010