Why is THAT a kids movie?

Have you ever taken your children to see a movie and when all is said and done wonder why it was geared towards children? We took the kids to see "How to Train your Dragon" the other night. How many times must one use the word KILL in a movie meant for children?

I also regret taking the girls to go see "The Princess and the Frog". I heard "Where the Wild Things Are" was set to an older audience than expected as well.

Any movies you regret taking your children to see?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Entertainment

• Nope, I've never regretted taking the kids to a movie but then again I know exactly what I'm walking into because I read reviews on the movies. The first review I read is faith based: USCCB: Movie Reviews. I will also read reviews at Decent Films, those are also faith based. If I'm still not sure after reading those reviews then I will go check out the ratings at Kids In Mind! Kid's in mind is not based on any faith. They just give the film 3 rating from 1-10. 1st rating is for sex/nudity. 2nd rating is fro violence/gore. The 3rd rating is for profanity. After each rating they describe what the scene or scenes are.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No because before my children saw a movie, I saw it first. This was so that I could channel what I wanted them to see. That is was children appropriate. Some movies as you said say they are for kids yet really aren't hence the screening I would do. I hope this helps as it was meant too.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 8:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I didn't see anything wrong with any of the movies you mentioned.... Our boys understand they are just movies, and are for entertainment only, so they don't take them seriously..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I never censor what my kids watch (within reason, I'm not letting them watch Porn or anything). My almost 4 year old loved Avatar. You should have seen his face light up when in the beginning of the movie you see the soldier in the mech....he jumped off the couch, big grin on his face and hollered "ROBOTS!". :D

Yeah, there are some things that I will wait til they go to bed to watch, but for the most part, if we watch something, they're watching it with us.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My daughter loved both movies you mentioned. But I'm not crazy about that stuff.. I mean, the word kill is a regular word. I would be pissed if they used the word f*ch, bitch etc.. But kids movies are not like the carebears anymore!! Although even back then they used the word kill lol!! I think you're exaggerating a bit.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Toy Story 3. Wish I would have previewed it first but I figured the other two were fine... I was wrong!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't understand why they are making so many children movies in 3D, when they are not even suppose to see 3D because it messes with their eyes!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't censor what my kids watch. Obviously I don't let them see horror movies (Yet!) because I know they will have nightmares, but other than that, I don't censor them. I like when they see something new, that makes them think, because that leads to asking questions, which leads to discussions. How can you expect your children to learn right from wrong, good from evil, if you only try and hide it from them, rather than address it head on?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• whats wrong with princess and the frog? my kids hear the word kill and i have taught them not to say that, she uses "destroyed" instead. u use moments like that to teach your child whats right and not ok to say and do. there are bullies in movies and bad guys for instance, the witch on sleeping beauty was scary as hell, but you teach your kids the better thing to do in a situation.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Aww, we LOVE Princess and the Frog. I cry when Ray dies, but we say that he was 'squished' not dead. (DD is 3). We never say die, so I would feel uncomfortable allowing DD to watch a movie that repeated "die" as well, OP. I watched Where the Wild Things Are w/ my DH, but IMO, its definately inappropriate for children. Its dark and even I was confused during some parts.  We have this movie I bought on sale at Blockbuster called Elephant Tales... My DD loves it and asks to watch it all the time.  I ended up having to tell her it was scratched b/c the animals are constantly calling each other 'stupid'.  I regret ever letting her watch that before previewing it.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2010