Has anyone ever had there haircut totoally messed up when they went to get it cut by a professional, supposedly?

So I went last night and thought hey this will a great change to get my hair cut real cute like! Well my hair was to the middle of my back and I was going to get it just barely above my shoulders with lots of fun choppy layers in it with some cute bangs....well in the end I gets it cut with the longest piece of hair to my jaw line...NO LAYERS and i almost look like a boy now! I BAWLED when i showed my husband. Its way to short now to try to fix so the only thing I can do is to let it grow out....anyone have something like this happen to you?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hello, I am sorry about your mishap. I have finally found a hairdresser who cuts my hair exactly the way I want it (I am 54)! There was many a time that I would spend time fixing cuts myself afterward (I cut all my kids & my husbands hair). A good suggestion for the next time you go in for a cut, is to take a pic with you of the style & describe your personal do's & don'ts to the stylist. For right now, look in some books or on-line at some ways you can style your hair while it is short ...there is so much you can do with gels, clips and curls to make it look feminine and sexy. Best of luck, Mary
    maryw222

Answer by maryw222 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes, a few times. when you don't get what you asked for, there are a few reasons: 1)lack of talent from the cutter, 2)lack of proper consultation/bad communication between cutter/client. how was the finished style(other than shorter than you expected)? did the stylist show you how to style the new cut, even though it wasn't what you wanted? when did you notice it was getting shorter? if the longest piece is jaw-length, and you wanted it just above your shoulders, you should've pulled the breaks at the start. (sure, the first couple of snips would've been unfixable, but i wouldn't have sat there and let it get worse.)
    sorry you got a bad cut. but next time, do your homework and get references for a good, trusted, experienced cutter. in fact, now is the perfect time to start asking people (who have good cuts, in the lenght you desired) about their cutter. i'm assuming you were a walk-in..lesson learned??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Not gettting it cut, but I went to the stylist to get red chunks (bigger than highlights, but not dying my whole hair red) put in my hair. Because my hair is so dark, she bleached the chunks first and than put in the red dye...they came out ORANGE! I could have died. DH called me Pumpkin Princess til they grew out.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• every time i have gone to someone here in america, my hair has been ruined. III can do a better job! psh. the only placei have ever actually loved a haircut from is in uganda... too much money for a haircut. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have always had a hard time finding someone to cut my hair right, but never how you explain. You said you have no layers. Have you thought about calling the salon back to have them try to put layers in? If you say something now, they may be able to fix it up some. They way you describe your hair now, sounds like layers would be good.

Just in the last two years, I finally found a place that is great. It's more money, but I'm happy to pay it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes took my husband to get his hair cut, well the dang barber butchered his hair. First of all it was uneven had to point that out then instead of giving some shape he just cut the hair straight. Never again! Took me everything just to get him in there.
    Rsangel64

Answer by Rsangel64 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• the best thing is give them pictures to go by- i find that helps a LOT.
    As someone who went to and graduated from cosmetology school-it makes me SICK how some of these people have licenses and yet do thing "their" way.
    I went to get a haircut a few years ago (I do all my family's-but can't do my own) and I was SO PISSED-
    my hair was past my shoulders-I told the girl (must have been about 19) that I wanted the front to my chin and the back a litlle shorter- and chop it up for me... she kept asking if she could "blend" it more insisting that it would "look better" and when she was doing the front I actually held the piece AT THE ANGLE I WANTED IT CUT for her-and she cut it THE OPPOSITE WAY!!! WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!!!
    I ended up with hair so short it was like a pixie cut- my bangs wer about mid forehead and that's how short it was EVERYWHERE
    I cried all the way home it took me almost 3 years to get another hair cut
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• * the kicker to all that was that the girl cutting my hair had hair to her butt. I wanted to go shave it off in her sleep!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• This has happened to me before twice, only both times mine were actually cut boy short and looked awful. It took ages for it to grow out but I did some cute styles in between. Maybe you just aren't used to your hair short. I bet you can put a cute headband in it. Try to experiment with it and remember it will eventually grow back!

@gracefulsky...you are so right! I've had some wonderful haircuts the couple times I've traveled abroad.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yup in 1st grade.... then again I went to a high end Solon about 10 yrs ago, I sat in a chair & the girl that did it ruined my hair! I thought it would be great, well we live we learn. I actually got it kinda spiked as a fix & loved that better, it was just hard when it came time for me to grow it out again, that part sucked~80s pink

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010