NON christian homeschooling?

I have been searching for a homeschooling group in my area....but every single one of them is christian based. Why is that? Is anyone here NON chrisitan AND a homeschooling mom?
Is this strictly the practice of christians?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Secular homeschooling mom here.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Sorry - can't help but I wanted to bump you. I hope you find your answer somewhere!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• dawnA72.....do you belong to a homeschooling group at all? Or do you do it all on your own?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• BUMP!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes I'm about to generalize but here goes anyways - I think the reason the Christians homeschool more than non Christians is to keep their children from "being exposed to evil"
    "Can't have little Susie go to school with all the girls who dress like little hoochies, better keep her home and not expose her to that!" for example.
    Also another reason would be that they want their religion taught to the kids in every aspect of schooling, and since religion is not taught in public schools, they have to teach that themselves.

I am not referring to ALL Christians, just the ones I've seen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am atheist and home-schooling, and I found a wonderful group in my area. (Actually I help run the group, but I didn't start it.) We are all inclusive, so there are a few Christian home-schoolers in our group, but they are not the majority. I love my group, and love that there are so many like-minded women in my area.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I see one on tv all the time. I forget what it's called, but it's based in the public school system. Have you tried calling the local schools? I think it's called k12 or something like that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Even though I'm a Catholic-Christian, and homeschool with faith based materials, I belong to a SECULAR co-op. There are several of them in Illinois.. It's possible to find secular, NON-religious, groups in other states as well. It just takes a little bit more digging. It's not unusual for homeschooling groups to have a yahoo group page. Have you looked in yahoo groups? I would just type in homeschooling or homeschool and your location and see what groups show up. I also would ask your children's librarian if she/he is aware of any non-religious homeschooling groups in the area.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We run our group thru meetup.com, so you may want to check there and see if you can find a secular home-school group in your area.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• K12 isn't really a homeschooling group or co-op. It's a curriculum or more accurately an online school.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010