Do you hate it when people ask you who you named your child after?

Every time someone asks me my sons name, I tell them Eli. Then they have to ask is that short for Elijah? No, his name is simply Eli. Nothing more, nothing less. Then here comes the ultimate bible belt question. Did you name him after the prohet? No! I did not name him after the prohet. I named him that because I liked the name. Is that a problem? One time I told a lady that I named him after the great and wise football player of the north. That didn't go over too well. I am the only one who gets annoyed when people ask this?

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 10:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Eli Manning! I'd totally name a kid after him (not that that's who you are talking about, I just love him)... except all my kids are C names. Try explaining Corynne, Caleb, Caidy, and Cayleigh! I pretty much pulled those out of the sky, spellings and everything. Their middle names are after people in my family, except for Corynne's.. her middle name's Michelle, and I just picked that because I liked it. Caleb's middle name is Thomas, it's a family name- My dad and grandpa's first name, my brother's middle name, etc. Caidy's middle name is Elizabeth, which was also my great grandma's middle name. Cayleigh's middle name is Grace... my sister picked it.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't really get annoyed, but a lot of people ask if we chose our son's name, Gage, from the Stephen King book/movie 'Pet Sematary'. We are not King fans, and we didn't even know that Gage was the name of an undead little terror, or we probably would have chosen something else! LOL! I even had someone ask if it was from some video game...um, no. DH just happen to find it on the Internet!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't see the big deal,so people are curious.
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I like it when people ask about my dd's name. Her name is Miah (pronounced Mya) and her middle name is Lynn. We picked that name out for a baby girl YEARS before we even started ttc. She's named after both my husband and myself. My husband's name is JereMIAH and my middle name is Lynn, so that's how she got her name.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son is Logan Bernard. & as soon as anyone hears BERNARD they say.. It must be a family name. (Which it is, & its not my favorite name in the world- but my husband choose to honor his g-pa, Why cant people have a little respect!)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have those questions asked about MY name ... RUSSIANNA ... my mom made it up. The story (so I've been told) is that she liked the word Russian and my grandma's name was Anna so she combined them.

98% who see my name cannot pronounce it but they CAN pronounce RUSSIA or RUSSIAN ... go figure!!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I only get annoyed when I'm told my daughter will be warped because we named her after a character in a Stephen King book. Her name is Kyra, and it's the little girl's name in Bag of Bones.
    Either that, or telling me I pronounce it wrong. We pronounce it like Tyra, but with the K sound, not like Keera like everyone seems to think.
    I don't mind them asking where I came up with it though, they're just curious.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Don't worry about it
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• That does seem to be annoying when they take it that far. It shouldn't even make a difference. The only thing I'd ask back is "What difference does it make?"
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• nope
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2010