How many study, not just read the Bible?

I'm talking research. Going into history with books like, Josephus, Jamieson Fausset and Brown, etc, etc. This is the way to understanding what's going on and the answer to many questions you may have about the Word of God.

discover

Asked by discover at 10:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have, mostly due to my college. My undergraduate degree required classes that study the Bible. It was real interesting and reinforced my beliefs about the Bible.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I attend a Precept upon Precept Bible study every tuesday morning, and have for the past 7 yrs.

It is an in depth study, book by book, where we also look up the ref.'s made in the margin and the ones the auther makes, to get the full picture. They are made by Kay Arthur.

In the 7 yrs. I have attended, we have gone thru, only, about 8 books in the Bible.

I became a follower in my late 20's (10 yrs. ago), and did not "grow up in the church",so these kinds of studies are really helpful to me, to get to know the bible and thereby grow :)
    My best teacher is my DH, though, and he keeps me grounded and not to "fluffy" as many Christians we know.....you know; people that mostly talk about Gods Love, Mercy & forgivness, and avoids thinking too much about our responsability to our brothers + sisters, and that being a Christian is HARD work (keeping our selfishness in check).......but I ramble on....sorry :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I do, and have, studied both the bible and the Christian religion in general for years. Being Pagan I also study many other paths as well... I don't see a reason to stop at one path of study when it comes to religion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am a new believer and just started reading the bible, now i am getting deeper and deeper into the bible, and really studying it.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I study the bible and history.. (I found Josephus is not reliable... but, it is all in how you read it, I guess)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I grew up studying the Bible and I still do to this day. I study it with a very rounded point of view I am Pagan and I study as many religions as possible to help me better understand the differing cultures point of view.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Holy run on sentance Batman. Looks like we are in need of a grammar check on cafemom.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I've read history from a secular standpoint, but I have found no better Teacher than the Holy Spirit. I've studied it's history for kicks, but I study the contents out of need. A person need not be a scholar or hold any interest in the intellectual points to gain what is needed for eternal life. That's what it's all about (for believers).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I study it and have for years.Right now I'm fascinated with Bible prophecy so most of my time is spent on that.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 7:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's so nice to see many study and do research as to the relationship and history of God's word. As I study I use ,Strongs Exhaustive Concordance ofThe Bible. This is a great book for looking up certain words or key words of the Bible that you may wonder about, such as, lets say...Genesis 1: 1-2. You will see in verse 1, God created the heavens and Earth. In verse 2, and the Earth was without form and void. You may want to look up your key words here by looking into the Greek or Hebrew and see the meaning of those words. Clearly, something happened between those two periods of time. A study like this may take you all day, but worth it when you come up with an answer. Research can be a lot of fun.
    discover

Comment by discover (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2010