Ensure

My baby is 7 months old and has stopped eating solids and is drinking too little milk, so I am wondering if I can add some ensure powder to his milk to increase his vitamin and caloric intake? If not..what can I do?

blessingAH

Asked by blessingAH at 10:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO-his tummy isnt mature enough to handle it. If he is truly not eating and drinking what he should be please call his doctor. there can be many reasons why, and you dont want to take a chance.....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Baby shouldnt be on milk & No I wouldnt aad ensure. Thats for adults. My son reduced his formula intake at about 6m and so I began adding foods in between meals.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When you say he has stopped eating solids, do you mean that he is ill? Or is he teething and doesn't want to chew? Have you tried a lot of different things? If his teeth are bothering him, try some anbesol, or a little tylenol or motrin, and maybe he'll feel better enough to eat properly.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am not giving him cows milk..it is formula or milk I have pumped...sorry about the mistake.....
    He was eating a LOT of solids and he isnt sick, he plays well and he is extremely active, I cant see any teeth around t'he corner either, it is that with such an activity and isnt taking naps I can see him a little skinnier, that is why I am worried
    blessingAH

Comment by blessingAH (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No! Just nurse more often. He may be teething, or ready for a major developmental stage.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• discuss this with the pedi...my youngest did the same thing around 7 months and by around 15 months he ended up in inpatient therapy for 5 weeks...it was very difficult. We tried everything.

Here's what you need to do before going to the pedi. Write down exactly what he eats and drinks, the amount and the time. Do this for a 3 day period and take that journal to the pedi. We worked with a nutritionist and kept a food journal for a long time.

I'm sorry you are going through this...you can message me if you need to talk. I can email you the food journal page I used if you want it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• BTW...no to the ensure...my son was on pediasure for a while but it has done damage to his teeth!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Ok...one more thing...when you are breastfeeding, just write down the number of minutes the feeding lasted instead of an amount
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• MommyH2: thank you, I will not give him anything without consulting with the Ped, we have an appt this week...I have always had a journal since he was born. He is learning to stand up in his crib so maybe rkoloms may be right too...anyway I am taking him to the Ped
    Thanks so much everyone
    blessingAH

Comment by blessingAH (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2010