No I don't have my hands full!!!

It irks me when I push my stroller with my 10 mo old while my 3.5 yr old tags along and someone says "Wow, you must have your hands full, I don't know how you do it" or "I don't think I could ever handle having kids" OK, I know its just an expression, BUT I love my babies! I love spending time with them, I love doing things w them, going places with them! NO I DON"T HAVE MY HANDS FULL! AND I DO IT WITH EXCITEMENT AND LOVE!!! My kids are not a pain in my butt like most people think, they are the most fun I've ever had!!!

EFotiou

Asked by EFotiou at 11:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, how I hated that comment when my kids were younger..I could go to a store and struggle to get a shopping cart because I was holding my baby and some smartass would say "Wow, you sure have your hands full." Not offer to pull the cart out or hold open the door. Not that I expected it, but it would have been nice. I would never look at someone struggling with a bunch of boxes or something and say that and walk off!! I would hold the door or ask if they needed help.

The funny thing about that is when my husband would take them out, people were more than willing to help. I guess in society we, as women, can't keep our legs closed so we get the stink eye and smart ass comments when we have our kids, but it's cute and fatherly when the men are in our position.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Don't take it seriously it's just a way of them saying that they admire what you do. Look at it like a compliment, not an insult. They're just saying that they can't do what you do and admire your parenting skills.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• With a 4 yo, 3 yo and 1 yo, I get this ALL THE TIME! It doesn't really bother me though. I just smile and tell them how much fun my LO's are.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I dont think most people are meaning it the way you are taking it. I think they are saying it in a way of admiration about how much work kids take and how they dont think they could do it. you should feel proud when pwople say this.

But I can see how you would take it wrong though.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My kids are 13 months apart and when I was pregnant the second time pretty much every person I came across said...."OH my gosh, you're gonna be busy." Or "You're gonna have your hands full." I thought it was incredibly annoying...especially after the millionth time hearing the same thing! I wanted to have my kids close together and I'm so glad I did. I guess all you can do is ignore it when people make those coments though.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• well, i have 2 kids and sometimes taking them out, it is a handful for me. depends on how they're acting. i mean they're normaly good, but if they're tired, they're cranky. i honestly don't see how moms with 3 young ones can do it, when 2 can sometimes drive me crazy. 3 cranky kids would drive me insane! sometimes i'll say it too, if i see a mom with 3. one mom had a baby, and 2 toddlers, and a couple times both kids went in 2 different directions. having one more than you already have always seems more hectic, don't take it personally.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yeah I get that to (my kids are 4,4,5 and 9). The twins group I am in, we had shirts made and on the back of the shirts it says this
    Yes they are twins
    Yes we can tell them apart
    Yes our hands are full . . . .full of love
    I am glad they are mine and not yours too
    We have multiple blessings
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would just say thank you, and move along..

Answer by rkoloms at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree with the above mom, they don't mean it in an insulting way at all, they are just speaking in admiration, just not saying it quite right.

Answer by Bmat at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• *comments
    jenae_gist