When did you know your baby needed a pacifier?

Or did you just give one from birth on?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always waited til atleast 4 weeks old. None of my kids would take one though. My last baby would start gagging if she even saw one it was so funny. If you are breast feeding I recommend waiting but if you are going the way of the bottle at anytime I guess :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• They don't NEED them. They're just easy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When I had Tried EVERYTHING else, and that was the last option to keeping my sanity :)

Avoide them if you can, though.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I gave my daughter a pacifier when she started teething. It helped her tremendously, she chewed on them like crazy.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• with my son his dad decided that he needed one when I went back to work b/c as he put it "I don't have the right equipment to sooth him" LOL.
    We actually went through quite a few b/f we found one that worked for him. And I must say he let it go pretty easily at about 18-20 months.
    With my dd I TRIED to get her to take a paci.... no go... she did not like anything artificial and prefered her fingers...
    until I had my kids (esp. DD) I did fall into that thought group that said "oh paci's are to make parents life easier. They are the "lazy" way" and did resist getting one for my ds.
    NOW.... I LOVE paci's Why? b/c a PACI is WAAAAAAAaaaaay better than a finger... you can "lose/hide" a paci not so with fingers. DD is 5 and still sucks her fingers.... fingers are also much more prone to be dirty than paci etc.etc.
    I don't know you can try from the beg. and/or wait till teething.... as long as its b/f they find their fingrs
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We figured all babies use paci's or suck their thumb. DD didn't suck her thumb so our 3rd day in the hosp we tried to sooth her with a paci/binky. She didn't like it and it took until 2 mos for her to take it (when she started teething). Then I took it away cold turkey and told her she was too big for it at 18 mos. We replaced it with a stuffed toy she picked out and by the third night she went to sleep without a tear!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010