Prozac and Lorazepam

I started fluoxetine(prozac) almost two weeks ago now for PPD and anxiety. I take 20mg once daily. I'm still not feeling better so my doctor also gave me lorazepam(ativan, .5mg) for the anxiety in the meantime. The thing is I don't feel any different when I take the ativan. I still feel stressed and just downright icky. The only difference I notice is I seem a bit more sleepy. I'm waiting on a call back from my therapy center to ask them but till then I was curious:

Has anyone else not had ativan work for them? How should I be feeling after taking a dose?

Has anyone had the ativan not work but the prozac work? I guess I'm asking if the ativan isn't working does that mean the prozac won't either?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Health

• Prozac I felt did nothing for me. People could tell when I had not taken it but I never felt any better. Effexor XR is what I am on now and I do feel better and it is not so easy for me to blow my top. I also have xanax but I rarely take it because it just knocks me out. Its funny I have taken all kinds of sleep pills that never worked for me but xanax knocks me out. Just ask to be taken off Prozac and put on something else. It can take a while to find the right prescription for you at the right dosage.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• they are two different kinds of meds. The prozac is a seretonin med and ativan is for anxiety. Yes one can work with out the other working. Give both at least six weeks to make a difference. it can take time. you will have days when it seems like it is not working but just remind yourself how bad it would ne without the med and it won't be so bad. i have been om ptozac for ten years it made quite a difference in my mood swings. good luck
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• try buspar instead of ativan i have aded it to my meds since my sister's death and it helps
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Ativan does nothing for my anxiety. It puts me to sleep. Maybe once the prozac reaches a theurapeutic level, it will curb some of your anxious feelings. SSRIs take about six weeks to work.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• (Pharmacist here)....ativan does not need to build up a blood level in order to work, like the prozac does, so if you get no relief from the ativan, the MD may need to increase your dosage (you didn't mention what strength you're taking), or try something different altogether. I do agree with the PP that mentioned you need to give the prozac more time to work (usually 3-4 weeks).
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• EDIT: sorry, I do see now that you did mention the strength on the ativan.....which could easily be increased by a doctor's order....
    DMac08

• You may need to up your dosage. It takes 4-6 weeks to feel the full effect remember.
    First of all, you have to stop thinking about it and stressing that you do not feel immediately better. I know exactly how you feel, and the pills help but you have to put the effort out also. Try meditating, exercising, drinking more water, get your body feeling better. Make sure you have a support system, inform your SO and your close relatives/friends of your situation. Many many moms go through it and completely understand. Especially your mom probably. So once they know how you are feeling they can be there for you when youre at or are reaching your low point. They can take the baby and let you relax in the bath or read a book and get lost in another world.
    Your hormones will regulate and you will feel better. Give yourself time and listen to your body,
    GL
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010