Why won't my kids let me be the teacher?

I was a teacher for eight years. I have three small children (4, 3, and 1 years old). I am now a stay-at-home mom. How come my children won't let me teach them? When we do an activity it seems like they don't want me to help. I taught a classroom of children, and yet my own children don't want me to teach them. Does anyone else run into this? Thanks!!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your kids don't care about your credentials. I'm sure you have learned some different teaching tecknics you could try till you find one that works?
    Mine are 7 &10 and they don't have a say in how homework is done - I'm the teacher!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Its the same way with my dd!!! She won't let me teach her at all! I am trying so hard to teach her to read and write and no matter what i do she will not let me help her! I have even thought about hiring a tutor to come teach her!
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It sounds like they have enough confidence to want to do it themselves. All my kids ever want to do is run around and play, I can't even get them to sit down long enough to teach them something. As long as they're doing what they need to I wouldn't worry about. Sit back and enjoy until they ask you for help.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am having the same problems teaching my daughter to read. She's flat out told me I'm not a teacher, that's what the people at school are for.
    I pointed out that I have taught her lots, I taught her manners, to be polite, to follow rules, to count, the alphabet, and the normal stuff a kid is taught by their parent. She just says that's what mommies are supposed to teach their kids, but it's the teacher's job at school to do the other stuff.
    They probably don't see you in the teacher role. Like Nynne said, they don't care about how long you actually taught in a school, to them you're mom, not teacher.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Are you too into it and guiding them too much? Are you too particular and doing the project for them? Could that be why they are balking? Did you teach children this young? I had to step back when I did projects because I wanted everything to come out the way I thought it should be. I was too particular. I finally learned to step back and let little fingers do their thing. It was a lot more fun when I relaxed and often the kids' slant on things was really neat and different.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm a teacher too and my kids are the same way with me. I find that a lot. A lot of the parents I talk to that were or still are teachers say the same thing!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am aware of my role to my children as their mother, but there are times when I have to sit down and work with them on skill. For example, during the school year my four year old received activities to do from her preschool teacher to improve her fine motor skills. We sat down to complete the activites, and she wanted no parts of the same activities she does at school. My son receives little 'homework" projects from his speech therapist, and he doens't want to practice them with me; but has no problem completing them in his sessions. I worked with K-2nd grade. Any suggestions!
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Its actually pretty common. My mom was a teacher but she often reminds me that she hired tutors for us. Its a combo... them not listening and us not having the same patience and expectations of them as we do for others kids. My dd will NOT let me teach her EVER. My ds will to some extent however I noticed that for myself I don't have the same level of patience with him as I do with the students I tutor. So I'd look to both sides.
    Its taken time to get dd let me help her but they will tell me I'm wrong b/c I'm mommy.
    I think it goes along with how they will listen to a stranger telling them no more than mom saying no...
    drives me up the wall too
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i am a teacher too. i had to set up a spare room as our school room for ds to take me seriously. i have the whole set up with a chalkboard and desk and alphabet and number line. i think the setting helps me to get into the persona of "teacher" vs mommy. he also seems to enjoy it like a pretending game too... that i am someone different. remember to make it fun!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Learning moments don't come from "lessons" for children this age. They learn best through play. For example, you mentioned fine motor skills. Have you tried giving her playdough to play with? Stacking blocks? Threading Cheerios onto a colorful pipe cleaner? You don't have to tell her, "Ok, time to learn"! By allowing her to play, she IS learning.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010