Aid coming for vets with PTSD. why so long? IS it enough? Good start??

WASHINGTON – The government is taking what President Barack Obama calls "a long overdue step" to aid veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder, making it easier for them receive federal benefits.

The changes that Veteran Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki will announce Monday fulfill "a solemn responsibility to provide our veterans and wounded warriors with the care and benefits they've earned when they come home," Obama said in his weekly radio and online address Saturday.

The new rules will apply not only to veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but also those who served in previous conflicts.

No longer will veterans have to prove what caused their illness. Instead, they would have to show that the conditions surrounding the time and place of their service could have contributed to their illness.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_veterans

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The issue with this decision is that they don't have to pin the PTSD to a specific event. Before they were required to prove that a certain event was the cause. Now they don't have to prove that specifically, they can just prove that they were affected because of their service. Good news.
    " I want to see them actually pony up the help instead of just talking about it."
    Its a done deal. The change has been made. It's not just talk.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• This is long overdue. This should have been done years ago after vietnam when they first realized ptsd was a problem.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• *sigh. I wonder why we don't give our soldiers more support, but we have money to study why men don't like condoms.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It is long overdue, but I am glad it is changing for the positive. My father died in 1991 from what I call suicide by cancer--he knew he was ill, but refused help for such a long time, there was nothing the dr's could do. Why? He harbored an unimaginable level of guilt, sorrow, heartache, and spiritual pain from his time in Vietnam--but a Marine doesn't complain, cry, or ask for mamby, pamby handouts!
    I am hoping I can get my hubby to get some counseling for the trauma he had in Desert Storm--he doesn't talk about it, but still has nightmares/terrors associated with it.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_veterans

Its sad that it took our country THIS long.....but is this a good first step? What else would you like to see happen?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• sigh. I wonder why we don't give our soldiers more support, but we have money to study why men don't like condoms.

Or money to give wheel barrels full of cash  (BILLIONS) to Iraqis and BILLIONS more to XE / Blackwater

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• thank the lord that he finally noticed and is helping. and im by no mean an obama supporter. my uncle has ptsd, and it has only gotten worse since he's been on tours in the sand box. he's not the same man anymore. him having bipolar doesnt help but add in the ptsd and he's really bad. im glad they finally did this, our men and women need this help. :)
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 4:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Way too long overdue
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 6:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would say we need "a little less talk and a lot more action." I want to see them actually pony up the help instead of just talking about it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm confused. My FIL has been getting treatment and a monthly check for years because of PTSD all through the VA. How is this new if he has been doing it for years. He loves his VA insurance by the way. He says they have treated him great and has no complaints.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 8:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010