Have your children feared the sound of thunder?

When my daughter was a baby and there was a big thunder boom she would automatically start bawling from fear of an unknown sound to her.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. They aren't fond of lighting either. I just tell them that it's just a boom (like if they threw a toy on the floor) and then flashing light (like if they were to turn the lights off and on real fast) I try to remind them that it can't hurt them. They are slowly reminding themselves of this out loud and telling me what I have told them. I think that they are becoming OK with it.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My oldest was scared of thunder for a while. We talked about what thunder was and we'd snuggle during thunderstorms and he got over it. Now he's 5 and loves storms. :-)
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• ya. when she was a baby and it would boom she would scream bloody murder. now she is 3 and when she hears it she still jumps and runs to me and wants to be held.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Oh yes my son who is 7 just started being OK with thunder...we bought him the head phones that block out noise and they worked great!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When she was really little, about a few months, she'd giggle. Have no idea why, but when it would thunder, she'd giggle. :-)
    At around 18 months until she was 2ish, she'd cry and cry and be so scared. She finally got that it was only noise after that and hasn't had a problem since.
    She's 5 now and when it thunders, she just asks her puppy, Poofy if she's alright and starts trying to explain to the puppy what the noise is. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When he was an infant the sound didn't bother him. Now he runs to me and I tell him it's OK and he's fine.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 1:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Luckily, my DD (8 months old) sleeps right through it, big ones and all....the dog however????
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Never seemed to bother my two..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Not really. I try to act like it's no big deal and I'll say something like, "that was thunder" and so far she doesn't seem to mind it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son has never been able to tolerate loud noises, especially thunder. Ah, the joy of autism!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2010