Is Roe V Wade Constitutional?

I'm not asking about the semantics of the abortion debate, or where you stand on contraceptive issues.

I'm asking specifically if you think this SCOTUS decision was made on Constitutional grounds, and why or why not.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a flawed decision and most legal scholars have admitted that. That's why the SCOTUS has run screaming from every legal challenge to work its way up the ladder to them over the past 30 years. They ultimately have the final say on what cases they hear, and they know if they ever take one it's very likely RvW will be overturned, so they are waiting until they get one that gives them an out to overturn RvW but still keep abortion legal on some other grounds (grounds that should've been included in the first decision so they wouldn't have this problem in the first place). The flaw is in the legal reasoning and wording of the original decision. Not the first time, and won't be the last time that happens.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it is based on the fact that it is a personal medical decision. (as long as teh baby is not viable...can't live outside the womb)

Doctors and patients should deal with that.

To me its like asking if the government can decide if you are allowed to treat cancer or any other medical condition

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think that this question can be debated and you would still never get an answer. The SCOTUS interpret the constitution to try and determine what it means. Depending on the political leanings of who sits on the court, that will be different. It might be constitutional to some and not to others. I think that is why it has been debated so heatedly over the last 37 years.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think any part of government making a decision about what a woman can or cannot do, regarding her body, is unconstitutional.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It is not for the state or theFederal Government to decide. It is nobody's business...certainly not government.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes because a fetus (until 25 weeks) cannot function without the body of the mother. Therefore the mother is at right at what to decide to do with her body, Past 25 weeks is where I see the gray area.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• In regards to the US Constitution- I think it is a state matter.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think that it's a state's matter, personally.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010