Do you have a preconceived notion of other religions....

for instance "Pagans worship Satan" (they don't but this was preached at a church I attended for .3 seconds)

"Baptists are uptight"
"Christians are judgemental"
"Muslims are violent"
or do you learn about them before you make decisions

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a kid, I was taught most of those, but as I got older and started questioning what was being told to me, I started trying to learn about them.
    I don't have any real thoughts like that anymore.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't think you can make a blanket statement about everyone in one religion. Of those I've known though,
    Most of the Christians are pushy, and the Baptists flip out at the thought of anyone who doesn't agree with them.
    Mormons and JWs take rejection well, but don't ever really give up.
    The Catholics I've known have been pretty live and let live.
    All the Jews I've known are accepting of those around them.
    Most Pagans are relaxed and easy to talk to.
    Most atheists love to learn and are sharp-witted.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'll admit I do, I was raised being told what certain religions were about, and after growing up I've learned a few things and have had to go back and set my mother straight on some things she was mistaken about, but she was just telling me the things she was told growing up, I think you generally find that everywhere. Some my mother was right about, a few she was not.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Also, as a child I was raised to believe that ALL religions/paths/denominations outside my mothers church were demonic and directly influenced by the Devil... So needless to say, I learned early on to ignore the propaganda spouted by religious groups.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Generally, NO. I do my best to learn facts and ignore propaganda. HOWEVER, I have never found a better source of fact than someone who walks that path, meaning the people who claim to be on that path are the ones who tend to stand out as examples of the religion. So if I meet someone who is Baptist, for example, who fits the propaganda, I have an easier time believing it, no matter what the other "factual" sources say. It's one of those things were "seeing is believing."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• lol 'for 3 seconds'. no I don't. I listen to people who want to tell me about their beliefs and things, I like having discussions with people who believe different to me(not so much if they are just stubborn and will just say 'but that's wrong' to what i've said) and learning from eachother.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't think of people in other religions this way. All religions have some people that have the different personality traits that you describe, but they do not define any religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't for the most part, but I am also located by several of the Fundamentalist "groups" that practive poligamy and wear the pioneer ensembles, so I will admit I might stick with my preconceived ideas there.....
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 1:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Nope... I was not raised that way either (luckily, my father wasn't home for most of my questions teeheee) I try to learn for myself...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I could not have said it better than JulieJacobKyle.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010