Car Seats

My daughter is almost 10 months, 24pounds and is still in a rear facing carseat, the ped told me it is recommended they stay that way till they are two years old, what are your thoughts?

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep her rear facing. It's much safer. Just switch her to a convertible seat that goes from rear facing all the way to booster.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Well listen to you ped however you have to worry about how her feet may be kicking the seat. So explain that to the ped and see what is said that time. Hope this helps. Have a great day!:)
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 1:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Thanks my DD is tall and heavy, but her legs don't touch the seat yet, my SIL keeps telling me to have her switched now, but I want her to be rear facing till two or untill her legs get in the way. I don't want to sound over protective, or a mean mommy for not facing her forward.
    newmom092009

Comment by newmom092009 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's not totally based on age. It has to do with the size of the child which includes height and weight of the child. It's really for their own protection.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Broken leg-cast it
    Broken neck-Casket
    Their feet touching the seat is IRRELEVANT. Its not uncomfortable for them.And its not likely that their legs will be injured in a crash.
    Keep your baby rear facing-it is safer.
    And at 10mths-its not even LEGAL to forward face
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• joelsjourney.org is a great website...watch the video on the home page.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It doesn't matter if baby's legs hit the back seat.
    The new AAP guidelines say keep them rear facing until 2 yrs old, no matter how big they are (assuming of course they are w/in the limits of their seat).
    Invest in a good convertible seat that you can keep them rear facing up to at least 35 lbs and in a 5 pt harness up to 60 lbs or so like the Britax Marathon.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm pretty sure the law is that they HAVE to stay rear facing until they are 12 months AND 20 lbs. Many moms are keeping their kids rear facing for longer by choice. It's much safer. Convertable care seats now come w/ weight limits for rear and forward facing. We just turned DS around forward facing and he's almost 2 years old almost 30 lbs.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it's great that your doc is recommending this. Many docs aren't up to date on the safety recommendations. IMO, it's best to keep your child RF as long as their seat will allow.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• my opinion is to keep the child rear facing as long as possible. that depends on your child's weight and height, and what kind of seat you have which depends on your budget and the size of your car. keeping your child rear facing does not make you mean or over-protective imo. there is a car seat safety group here on cm that is very helpful and can give good suggestions for what kind of seat to buy
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010