Do you believe.....

That when you marry your husband, you marry the whole family & vice versa?

trelmix

Asked by trelmix at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I believe if you marry the man you marry his entire family. You don't get to pick and choose.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes.
    I believe the level depends on their closeness with their family. But if you absolutely hate their family that is not good. Those people raised him and he is a reflection of who he is. It is very common to not like them, but you have to respect and tolerate them if you expect it in return.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• For the most part, yes. His family became mine and mine became his.
    We treat each other's family like we do our own, we help the ones we like and avoid the ones we don't.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree, however that doesn't mean that you have to spend a ton of time with them. For example my husband hates my family (why, i'm not sure) but we try to make a comprimise so that I can still see them and spend time with them but he doesn't have to
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Absoutely positively yes!
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes, absolutly. family is family.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes, I do. You don't cut him off from his family just because you get married. And he doesn't cut you off from your family just because you get married. Also, for better or worse, his family is what helped create him and who he is, and the same for you.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I guess so, but it doesn't mean you have to love them, you just have to not hate them
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yeah, I believe that but then you have to pick and choose if anyone is toxic to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No. I married my DH, NOT his family! His family and I really hate each other! I want my DH to be clean & sober, healthy and earn a decent honest living... Because of this I am seen as a "horrid influence" on him and our children. He still has contact with them - daily - and my BIL lives in our basement, but I have NO contact with any of them... It's the best way for us not to put my DH in the center of a feud. Also, My family is NOT his... They are MY family, I don't expect him to see them as his.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010