Why don't you let your kids watch The Simpsons?

I see so many people who don't let their kids watch. I'm really curious why. I've seen it since the first episode when I was 5. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it and am just wondering what others do.
This isn't meant to be mean or bash on those who don't like it, I really want to know.
Thanks!

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Or you can just explain that it's tv, it's meant for entertainment and make sure they understand the difference in real life and pretend. Just because a cartoon character does something, she knows it's wrong for her to do it.

DING DING DING We have a winner! Why is it so hard to explain that TV is pretend? If I were only going to let my kids watch stuff that was real they would be limited to the News... How fun is that? My kids know the difference between pretend and real, if you teach this early, it's not a problem!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It teaches kids to be rude and disrespectful and to have bad manners.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Bart is disrespectful and rude. If I'm going to let my kids watch mindless televsion, I prefer things I don't have to moderate consistently...like we don't speak that way to each other, this is meant to be funny. I like to be able to get up and grab a soda and not worry about what's on TV.

Kids can't differentiate at a young age between what for fun/pretend and shouldn't cross over into life.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Because it teaches children to be rude, ignorant and sometimes crass to adults or those in authority i.e. the Police. It isnt a cartoon although its animated. Its geared more towards the Yuppies and etcc.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 1:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• There's just a lot of stuff I wouldn't want my kids to learn from it. Like disrespecting adults, foul language, being rude to others, not having good morals, etc, etc. I don't think it's a show for children, it's more for adults. Family guy is the one that really makes me cringe and shake my head though.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• There is a lot of adult humor in the Simpsons, but I remember from the time I was 8 years old my favorite part of Halloween was the Treehouse of Horror episode. Those were awesome! But I probably won't let my kids watch it for quite a while, but they are 4 and 6 months lol.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• do you let your kids watch south park too?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 1:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• we dont get the channel it comes on. i watched the simpsons growing up. every night on fox at 6:30. she use to really like family guy but that one is a bit much for young kids.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My eight year old daughter loves it, but she wasn't really even interested in watching until recently and seems to be able to differentiate approriate behaviour from the stuff that is just for laughs.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i love the simpsons, family guy, adult swim/robot chicken. no ds isnt allowed because simply i dont want to explain everything they talk about. he isnt one of those kids who just lets things go over his head. if he doesnt understand something he WONT drop it until he does understand - a blessing i know but i have to be careful with him knowing too much already. so he certainly WILL be allowed to watch it when he is older (only 4 now) but not yet anyways...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010