I've often wondered this...

If you believe that the world is coming to an end soon (be it by God, Man or Nature) WHY would you have kids?

I remember when I was a kid being told I wouldn't ever get to finish highschool because Armageddon was coming so I needed to focus on my relationship with God "Right Now" and not allow it to become something I put off... My grandmother still believes that literally any day, "the end" is coming and everyone besides her belief system will be killed off - yet, she is super excited that I'm having a third child...

This line of thinking has never made any sense to me. If you believe the end is coming, why would you want someone you love to go through that? Why would you want to have kids at all, especially if you believe there is a chance they won't make it through?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't believe in all that crap. i think it's a bunch of garbage if you ask me.
    NSeni

Answer by NSeni at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• For the Hope children inspire in others.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I believe that God will take his believers first, then the rest of the world will go through all the revelation stuff. So I get to enjoy my children and we will all go together.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• you are brain washed if you seriously believe that stuff. i mean really? how does someone justify believing such garbage. lol just enjoy life and be grateful for all that you have. life is good. :) were we end up does not matter.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• always some dooms day prediction date nonsense

when i was 7th or 8th grade, all of us kids planned on meeting at the food store so we could eat all the candy when everyone freaked out and we could all watch it come to an end together
    still makes about that much sense

do not believe, nothing i could do about it if i knew for a fact, except maybe eat all the chocolate i wanted with no guilt
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I honestly haven't the slightest clue. I grew up being taught those same beliefs. My Dad actually dropped by (he NEVER does that) to talk to me about me leaving the "truth" & asking me to take a look at it again, saying it's the only thing that makes sense. Made me sad that he truly believes this & is worried.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Matt 24:36-42
    "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
    "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because....
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I thought that, too, in fact I'd decided never to have kids because of it.

then I got pregnant, and the world has ended 7 times since i finished high school. and i found out the Bible doesn't translate exactly into English, and it just doesn't seem like the world is going to end any day any more.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Totally off topic, sorry sabrina. I just hit one of those plus signs next to a comment, what are they for? I have no idea.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Matt 24:45
    "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns.

This tells us that we are to live expectantly. With the knowledge that He could return at any time. But only God knows that time and God alone. We are still supposed to live our lives in our work as unto the Lord...not as in waiting idly for the end to come.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010