Anyone know any chemical free ways to get rid of ants?

I have small black ants coming in under my kitchen door. I have sprayed ant raid all over the back patio but it isn't helping and I don't want to use it in the house because of DS.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• White vinegar in a spray bottle.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Good Luck! I have tried it ALL... Chemicals and Natural and the ONLY way I have found to get rid of ants is to find their home and destroy it - which isn't always easy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Organic sprays that any home depot or garden store would have to rid homes and gardens naturally of pests without harming the immediate surroundings where children and pets play and could be poisoned very easily without taking the proper precautions.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The vinegar should work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If you use vinegar make sure to dispose of the dead ants quickly. Or more ants will come and eat the dead ones.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Amdro makes a bait that looks like peanut butter in a syringe... put a few dots along where you see the trail (or near a hill, if you can find it) and it will kill 'em. Works great for roaches, too! Also, I learned that cleaning your countertops (or floors, in your case) with bleach deters the ants. I had the worst problem with sugar ants and started cleaning w/ bleach - no more issues, and everything is sanitized!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• cinnamon works really well. Just sprinkle it wherever you see them.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Plain powder cream of wheat works really good too. Just sprinkle it where they're coming in at and they won't cross it (if they do eat it, it's toxic to them and will kill them)! It does work, I use it in my house. It also doesn't hurt pets or kids :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i was going to suggest cinnamon. make a line of it across the doorway....ants won't cross it.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 4:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Cinnamon, Sea Salt, Vinegar, Eucalyptus Oil- will all ward off ants. I agree with someone above who said to clean with bleach. I used watered down bleach now for my countertops and I've seen far less ants.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010