Do you make popcorn in a microwave?

I used to use the Jiffy Popper you use on top of the stove. Some people like microwave popcorn. However, I'm not one of them. The taste is different right down to the smell. Also, I have an air popper which spits out the popcorn when the heat of the popper is just right. There is a lot less oil or grease and you can control how much extra oil remains on the popcorn.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We are going to buy a hot air popper. Right now we use a big pot with a bit of oil on the stove top to make popcorn. My friend's father in law is a popcorn farmer so she brings me kernels fresh from the combine! It's awesome. The microwave stuff has all that scary fake butter, sometimes it smells weird AND has either soy or citric acid (or both), both of which my 3 yr old is allergic to.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 1:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't really like microwavable popcorn either. Has a weird taste to me as well. I like either air poppers or using a pot and some oil.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I used to have a Scooby air popper that my mom gave me for Christmas a long time ago. I loved that thing!
    Then, I dropped it and it shattered! :-(
    So, I do the microwave popcorn now. Sometimes, I'll open the bag and put it in a pan with some butter and pop it that way. It tastes a lot better than cooking it in the microwave.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i dont have a microwave so no. i make it on the stove.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I've only ever had microwavable popcorn. But now I want to try stove popped!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 1:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No, I make it in a big pot with real butter and sea salt. I know exactly what I'm eating.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No. I have an air popper that I bought about 12 years ago. Sometimes we pop it on the stove. It's worth it to pay for a jar or bag of kernels, top them as you please, than to buy 3 packages of popcorn full of chemicals.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Air pop! That way WE control how much butter and salt is applied. And it tastes better. Very rarely I will pop it on the stove, and even more rarely we eat the microwave stuff.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• stove popped...the jiffy pop kind is my kids favorite, the like to pop the bubble when its done :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We have a microwave popper; you can also use a brown paper bag, taped shut.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010