pooping in diaper

My SIL is having a tough time potty training my nephew. He is 3 yo. The other day my nephew had to poop and he likes to poop in a diaper. My SIL will only let him poop in the bathroom so she told my nephew if you need to poop you will only have a diaper on because I do not want your shorts to stink too.

Has anybody done this too.

Thanks

busymom985

Asked by busymom985 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am confused, is she putting a diaper on for him to poop in? IMO that is just making it harder for him to be potty trained, once you start the potty training process, giving in and letting him go # 2 in a diaper is just going to confuse him. I realize that she probably doesn't want to deal with stinky shorts, but in reality if he knows enough that he can tell her when he has to go potty, than he will figure out real quick that the potty is the best choice to do his deed. So she will only have to deal with stinky shorts a few times. Hope this helps a little.
    samuelsmom

Answer by samuelsmom at 2:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• just throw the underware away----and if know he has to poop, she should make him sit on the potty, or let him poop his pants, throw away the underware if they get really bad, and punish him,.Say things like "shame on you, pooping in you pants even though you knew to use the potty", "do you like to be stinky, oooohhh nasty. She should also let him sit in it. When potty training my kids if they pooped in their pants on purpose, after they knew to do potty, I made them sit in it for awhile----they never did it again.
    Leting him poop in a diaper is not the answer IMO, he has to learn sooner than later!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If he is 3 years old, I think she should just throw diapers away. If he knows what he has to poop, he should be getting on a potty, not getting a diaper put on him. I think that's just making it harder on him and confusing him.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010