How hard would it be for a 35 year old SAHM mom to get a job?

Hi, I am a 35 year old stay at home mom. I've only worked for 2 years in my life. I didn't go to college because I gave birth when I was 20. My husband didn't want me to get a job. He works as a business consultant for a large corporation, and supports me financially. Now I am so disappointed that I listened to him.
I have a 15 year old daughter, a 14 year old son, and an 11 year old daughter. I am already tired of staying at home
with my children. I want to work full time as a data entry clerk or a home attendant. I also want to go to college to study education. I'd like to become an elementary school teacher. Am I too old now to get a full time job and take classes at night? Who will hire a stay-at-home mom with no experience? Has anyone here been in my situation?
If no one will hire me due to my age, can I just work for my husband's company?

elsanj33

Asked by elsanj33 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's not too late! It could prove to be a challenge, but it's not too late. Start out by taking some courses at your local community college. Not only is an inexpensive way to get your core classes completed, it's also a great way to network locally. A lot of community college teachers (especially the ones teaching night courses) are people who work for local companies and often have their ears to the ground about openings and positions. Don't get discouraged and just keep plugging away. Even if you only work part time for now you'll be able to attend school pretty much full time. You blinked your eyes and your kids were teenagers, next time you blink you could be teaching a 3rd grade class, or at the very least a full time sub in your local elementary.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• First of all, I suggest you read this article:  How to Find Work Experience as a Stay at Home Mom

Second, no, it's never too late to go to college. 

Third, if you are experienced at typing, I see no reason why you couldn't get a job doing data entry.  You could also qualify to work at a call center.  They are mostly looking for good typing skills and phone skills.  Show me any mother that isn't experienced in using the phone!  LOL!  Read the article, I am sure you can put together a fantastic Resume.  You just have to be creative.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Its not really all that hard. I am 47 years old and never worked in my entire life. I was a stay at home mom...I left an abusive marriage and found work just three years ago. The first place I walked into and applied hired me.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It is never too late. It is wonderful that you were able to be a SAHM and now it's time to do something for you. My favorite thing ever put on a resume is "domestic engineer". In other words a woman who runs the home. Sell your strengths. You kept a family of 5 running and that requires organization, being on time, flexibility and the ability to be a quick learner. Jobs are all about being confident, selling your strengths, and being in the right place at the right time. I also believe it has a lot to do with who you know and networking. It is never too late to take classes and strive to teach. You can substitute and volunteer in classrooms. Ask teachers for letters of recommendations from your children's teachers in the past. Believe in yourself!! Talk to a counselor at a local college and tell them about your wishes. They will point you in the right direction. YOU can do it!! :)

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It is never too late to start a career!
    First, keep in mind that stay-at-home moms have lots of skills and experiences that employers value: time management, logistics, budgeting and finance, etc. Chances are, you also have done some volunteer work, that was great experience.
    Now, how to get career skills: start with a community college; take microsoft office classes, especially Word, Excel and Powerpoint; also take at least one bookkeeping class.
    Good luck, and let me know how you are doing!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No, you're not too old too go back to school. Also, how hard it is to find a job will be determined by the job market in your area. You might have to start off with minimum wage jobs or temp jobs to start out, but would only be temporary. When you go to look for a job, focus on what's called transferable job skills. Those are skills you can take with you to any job like being organized, knowing how to type, ect. Before you write a resume or fill out a job app, make a list of your skills. And make sure you tell people you've been a sahm. Otherwise, they'll see this huge gap in your job record and wonder why. Lastly, I don't know if you could work for your husband's company or not. Does he own it? If he does, it's probably not a problem. If not, a lot of companies have rules against hiring the family members of employees.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• its not too late apply at group homes or nursing homes, they will help you get your cna, its a start.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's never too late to further your education! My aunt was in the same situation and she didn't get her first job until she was about your age! Of course she got a job working at Wal-Mart, but it's better than nothing! All she has is a high school diploma though, she never tried to get a college degree. I say Good Luck! :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's not to to late. In fact you're fairly young! If your Family supports your decision then go for it!! Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it!! I have so much fun!! I am a stay at home Mommy to my almost 3 year old son, and 16 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• sweetie it's NEVER too late to do what you want in life! I know many many older women who are now going back to school/working. It's not easy but they are doing it and are so proud of themselves!! (I am 40 btw)....I highly suggest school if you are looking to have a "career". I don't know what your money situation is but a local community college is a good place to start. Teaching is a wonderful profession!! They can always use good teachers-no matter the age. What I have found too is that as you get older and your priorities change, you are more likely to work really hard for what you want and SUCCEED! Go for it!!!

I also want to add based on my own personal experience that I think it's VERY important for woman to be able to support themselves in life-you never know how things may change...ask yourself this:if you suddenly found yourself alone in life-what would you do financially? If you have no clue-get one! :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2010