if you were sending your kids to camp

would you say they have a regular diet not vigetarian but can not have junk food. Chips, candy etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• If they were vegetarian I would expect the camp to offer meal options for them..my girls are not vegetarian and ate regular meals while at camp.As far as junkfood, the camp did serve dessert but offered healthy snacks for the campers.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If you want your kids to have food that is different than what will be served to the other campers, most likely you will have to send their food with them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Well, with my son, when I send him to camp, I send his food with him b/c he requires a special diet, plus add to that he is an extremely picky eater. I provide his food b/c most of it is not obtainable at your local grocer & I also don't expect anybody else to understand how to meet his unique dietary needs. I do, however, let the camp know what his diet restrictions are & that he may eat anything they serve that he wants that falls within his safe list. It's easier now that he is older because he knows what is & isn't allowed, but when he was younger, I got phone calls all the time..lol.

In your case, if the need is for your children to have a vegetarian diet, I would call the camp & see what the options are. I would also be prepared to send in their foods if the camp isn't able to meet your needs. If you don't want your children to share in the other camper's treats, then I would also send in acceptable substitutes.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Honestly, I let my daughter eat junk, if she chooses, while she is at camp. We are vegetarian, and do request that she not have meat (the overnight camp she attends has lots of vegetarian teens).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm confused. Are you asking if the meals served at camp include meat, but don't have junk food?

Every camp that I have been to serves some sort of dessert, and super sugary drink along with milk, and water at every meal. Most also have a "store" that you can purchase toiletries, calling cards, disposable cameras and junk food.

The last time I was at camp was 9 years ago when I was lifeguarding.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010