Have you ever raised a billy goat?

My mom moved to a new house and the owner left some barn animals there. I've been wanting to get a Pygmy Goat for my son because I have read that they are very socialable,funny and easy to get along with.
So, a Billy Goat is not exactly what I had in mind but this adorable little guy seems so lonely over there. He is a lone goat with chickens,a rooster and 4 peacocks. He never gets to get out of the barn to take walks or anything and I just feel so bad for him. The owner was supposed to be coming to take care of it but she rarely does and then she said she was going to rehome it but still hasn't.

So...I;m wondering..is a Billy Goat pretty much the same as a Pygmy to raise?
What is best for thier daily diets? How often should he be let out of a barn on a daily basis and for how long? Should he have another friend goat,will he become lonely if he is the only goat? How are Billy Goats with children? THX!!!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pets

• I was viciously attacked by a billy goat years ago. He ripped my pants from hip to ankle, and bruised me almost to bloody. I don't like billys anymore! Now if you have him wethered, he might make a really nice pet. How big is he? Billy goats SMELL BAD as well. I do mean BAD! The smell seeps into your hair, clothes, and everything. I can smell a billy from a mile away.
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• billy goats can be mean and will eat anything they can get to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure about the care aspect, but my aunt Helen had pygmy goats for as long as I could remember. We would play and feed them (corncobs and leftovers) I remember playing with one named Billybob he would run up walls and turn flips in the air :) I think they make great pets for children --- You just brought back a ton of memories for me...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I got caught up on the pygmy part of the goat...sorry...billy goats, I don't know about... :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Billy goats can be very mean. My parents raised goats. You have to be careful with them around children.

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• the age seems good-he will have calmed down some perhaps. I am thinking if you're not sure he's wethered, then he probably has been. Does he stink horribly? Does he pee on his chin? No? Then he's been fixed already. A quick look at the goods will tell you if he is or not. It's...um...quite obvious on a goat. They can eat hay, and there is also goat food at a feed store. I hope he works out for you. Does he have horns?
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone... :(
    I don't want a mean goat. I just feel so sorry for the little guy. Oh well, he just wouldnt fit in our family if Billys are known to be mean. With our children and the kids I babysit...I guess it just wouldnt work.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• He is about 3 years old.He is on the rather small side...one of the smallest I've ever seen honestly,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Oh and not sure if he's been wethered or not.
    kimberlyinberea

• LMBO! I havent noticed a yellow stained beard on him so I don't think he's peed on his chin!
    And no, he really doesnt smell all that bad..which is suprising for how long he's been cooped up just in that barn.
    The horns..well..they are kinda like little shaved down nubs.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010