Weeding out unneeded items

We are moving, and the movers are coming to pack us up soon. I need to get rid of some unnecessary things. What is the general rule of thumb for getting rid of things?

Also, I have a bunch of CD cases. I dont use them because I have a CD book. I dont even really need the pamphlets they come with, but Ive been holding onto them for some reason. Should I just get rid of them?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 2:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I generally get rid of anything I haven't used in 6 months. I got rid of all of our CD and DVD cases and put all the DVDs away in books, neatly organized. All the CDs are in the CD changer, and I have another booklet with all the case inserts. I have at least 350 DVDs and almost 300 CDs, but with them organized that way, they all fit neatly into one shelf on the entertainment center.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Well, whenever we've moved, I prepared for it weeks in advance by going room by room and cleaning out the cupboards & closets, keeping only what we really loved & used & getting rid of the rest (by donating, selling or tossing). My general rule of thumb is if I haven't worn it or used it in the past year, I'm probably not going to in the next year, so out it goes.

I also try to limit hanging on to things with sentimental value. If it's the memories associated with the item that are important, rather than the item itself, a picture of it will do just as well, preferably a pic of me using/wearing the item. If I absolutely must keep some stuff for sentimental reasons, I have a box that limits the amount I can keep, so if it fits in the box, I keep it & if it doesn't, then something must go to make room for it or I just don't keep it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes get rid of them anything not used in 6 months chuck
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes, chuck 'em. I try to only keep one thing of something that I use less then once a month.. I would go through and see what you have more then one of but don't use very often.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010