Baby has red cracked ankle creases, and behind the knees, too. Food allergy?

I'll be calling the Pedi, but I always like a little feedback. Baby is 7 months old. I wash and dry the areas before I put Cetaphil cream on. I have some hydrocortizone 1%, but hesitate to use it until calling the Pedi. Food allergy maybe? Anyone have experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like eczema.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• eczema? My 11 year old gets it at his arm pits, his knees, he elbows--any where that bends.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Sounds like eczema , Dr will give you cream to treat.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• sounds like dry skin or eczema
    eczema can be in reaction to foods though, dairy aggravated my daughter's.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• dry skin or eczema
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My daughter gets that behind her knees. I think hers is caused from the heat and sweat...it can happen in skin folds. I've been putting zinc oxide on it..its a cream that can be bought from the drugstore, it works well for her. The rash is gone within a day. But there is a prescription too that works really good. Its called Niastatin. It comes in a little bottle and it is a powder. You sprinkle a little on and it works VERY well.
    Hope baby feels better soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• eczema. Both my sons have it. As far as what we use on them daily is the Aquafor Eucerine for babies. Otherwise if it's really bad the dr will give you a script. There are a lot of creams out there, but every baby is different for what works best.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It definitely sounds like eczema, but that can be caused by a food allergy. Your doctor will probably hesitate to call it a food allergy. If you have any doubts left, or mom's instinct is telling you differently, take your baby to an allergist or try eliminating common allergens from baby's/your diet. I think it's smart not to use the cream until you go the pedi.
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 3:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree with PP, probably eczema. And best to check with your pedi, as you plan to do. If it is eczema, and besides whatever creams/lotions you pedi recommends, I wanted to suggest Halo Technical Comfort clothing. It helps reduce itching and irritation and wicks away moisture. And it is approved by the National Eczema Association. Plus it has SPF 30 and helps regulate LO's body temp.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 3:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010