what kind of learning activities do you do with your 3 year old?

my husband and i both work full time, and our son was in day care but now that we have had another child, my husband and i will be working opposite shifts so we can be home with our kids. but i really want to have some more structure for my 3 year old's days, besides just playing with his toys all day. he really loved going to "school" and i have some ideas from when he went there but could use some more fun ideas. i was thinking he could just play with his toys most of the day but have a half hour activity in the morning with daddy and a half hour activity with mommy in the morning.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I got preschool work books and flash cards from the book area at Target and Walmart, Kmart has a good selection as well.
    Puzzles not just the board types but the 24 piece puzzles. do simple things like put M&m's on the table and have them pick 5 yellow ones then 3 oranges ones, count them all together and you have 8 now take away 5 and you have 3. just be creative
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• my dd has a travel aqua doodle and we practice writing the abc's on it. i draw a letter then she will trace it then draw it herself.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Get one of those big thick preschool books from Toys R Us. There's all kinds of stuff to do in them...ABC's, coloring, writing practice, mazes, puzzles, matching games.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Ki got a dry erase board for her 3rd birthday and we played with that. I would write something on it and she would copy it. She got a big kick out of "writing on the walls", and learned a lot about her letters that way. We still use it.
    Every day after nap and snack, we take an hour for learning time. When she was 3, we did the same thing, it was set and she knew what to expect. We worked on the workbooks, we wrote on her board, we practiced with pennies.
    We played go fish, candy land, and other calm games like that (we still do that and she's 5 now).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I got this book called Learn to write your numbers, learn to write your letter, learn to draw your shapes and colors. its by priddy books and they also have falsh cards that you can write on and wipe clean and my daughter loves it. We sit down before bed and work on them and she loves to write and wipe clean after, it helps us spend time together and its also educational. I sometimes also send her on a hunt if were working on the color purple I ask her to go find something purple if were working on shapes I ask her to find something with that shape. We look around the house and do shape hunt and stuff.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 5:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2010