Spot the evil ones

A factory gets so much government contract business they can no longer produce enough to do anything but government contract business. The fed government sees a recession and cuts spending on the item produced at the factory to spend it on infrastructure programs while state and local gov raise taxes on the factory. 1000 people at the factory are laid off. 500 of them can no longer pay rent. Their landlords can no longer afford to pay the mortgage and property taxes on the rentals and need to evict and try to sell the properties. Meanwhile the factory owners are trying to sell and nobody wants to buy because there's a recession going on. They can no longer afford the taxes on the factory property.
Since people with more money are evil and people with less money are good, which are the bad people here - the factory owners or the landlords or both? Or is that just economics and people need to get over rich=evil?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• rich does not equal evil.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 3:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Capitalism, working your way up and having money are great, and wonderful to strive for.

It's the ABUSE and LUST that is wrong.

Not working and relying on others is WRONG.
    Stealing from the Co is WRONG.
    Moving your Co off shore in order to avoid Corp taxes and American wages is WRONG.
    Spending money you do not have is WRONG.
    Buying elections is WRONG.
    Deregulation in order to pocket more money is WRONG.

GET THE THEME? A whole lot of people and decisions are WRONG. Not just the evil government.

THE LOVE OF MONEY......entices people to do WRONG.

The world in living color, not just black and white!!!!!!!!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think this is a great question!! I get sick and tired of being seen as greedy and evil. I am far from it. I made success of myself on my own steam. I grew up with nothing and put myself through college. I now own several businesses grossing more than 400K a year. I pay good wages and I am very good to work for...............I am somehow greedy and evil though.....interesting though that without me more than a dozen people wouldn't have living wage jobs they currently have.

It is not greedy or evil............it is the American Dream...within the reach of every last one of us with the willingness to work hard and the gumption to go for it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Np- IMO, you were attempting to lead a horse to drink out of a certain pail of water. My point, the love of money is the root of the problem- does not matter if you're the gov, the bank, the worker or her husband. It's nice to have a slice of cake, but eating an entire cake everyday, for a month, is probably not such a great idea.

Greed is not healthy.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Sounds similar to my area. The main employers here make car parts for GM and Chrysler. Can you guess how well they've been doing for the past couple years? Not only them, as you mentioned, but the companies that supply them with the materials to make the parts, etc.. It's amazing how tied in we all are, isn't it?
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• BTW, most of those evil corporations people speak of are actually Mom & Pop operations that have found it more cost effective/estate sensible to incorporate than be sole proprietors. The big corps aren't owned by a handlful of greedy overlords either. They are owned by shareholders..many of them being regular every day folks. Pensions, 401K's and other retirement plans own stock in corporations. Is the little old lady, you know the retired school teacher..or how about the retired city parks worker...are they greedy and evil because their pensions own stock?

Geesh, give it a rest.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Oh boy
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Not just the evil government.

I never said the government was evil. None of the people in this example stole, moved offshore or bought elections. At best you can say "spent money they didn't have" but I don't know too many people who can buy a factory with out getting a loan first, or at least some financial backers who expect return on their investment.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's a sucky situation all around.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Greed is not healthy.

Neither is assuming everyone who appears to have more than you do is greedy.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010