What are your thoughts on a single man that stopped working to stay home and take care of his mother and he was approved for foodstamps for himself?

His mother recently came out of the nursing home. She needs care 24/7. She doesnt get around very well and Medicare won't pay for her to have a nurse come to the house daily..only twice a week for about 1/2 hour. They can't afford to pay for someone to do it out of pocket.
He had to apply for benefits for himself, was only approved for about $100 a month. But he is very embarressed to use the "foodstamp card"
I feel he should just do what he needs to do right now and not feel bad about it.
What are your thoughts?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know how he feels. My SO lost his job, that left us with no income at all. I was determined not to get FS & was also embarrassed to do it. But when we ran out of food, I sucked it up & used it anyhow. It's good to hear that a man is wiling to do that for his mom.
    dixielol

Answer by dixielol at 3:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think that it is great that he is willing to take care of his mom! I know how he feels, but it doesn't sound like he is trying to abuse the system, so I would say, do what you need to do until you can get something else figured out.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 3:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i think this guy is very awsome, do u know him? tell him that and also tell him the card is a remembrance of helping his mom out and to be proud of it!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• He has so much honor and respect from me... I give him his props he needs to do what he needs to right now and not feel bad about it.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think that is fabulous of him. And understandable how it can be embarassing, but he has to do what is best. Good for him.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would say he is one special man, tell him there is no disgrace in using food stamps, specially in his situation

Answer by older at 3:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think you're right.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think thats wonderful that he would sit at home and take care of her.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• That's sweet of him
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think he is one in very few, foodstamp in there for people like that who need it. Look how many man dont care for their mother, woman or children.
    supermom2005

Answer by supermom2005 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010