When did you get rid of the sippy cup and why?

My daughter is 2.5 and we have been giving her liquids in a cup (no lid). She does great but I guess I'm not ready to get rid of those sippy's I spent so much money on! lol How did you decide to say "no" to a sippy?

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I still make my 9 1/2 year old drink out of a sippy cup at home because he's so careless. :) We get the biggers ones by Gerber that look like a sports bottle.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My boys are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. When we are home they always use regular cups. But when we go out they take the sippy cups in the car.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Mine still uses them, but we are slowly weaning them away from him. He can drink fine out of a regular cup so he mostly gets a sippy now if we go somewhere or to carry around the house. It actually isn't too hard to get rid of them. I throw them out after a few months anyway and replace them. Only this time I won't be replacing them.

I admit tho, I still have most of all his baby bottles. They are stored away, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. But I will probably use for the next baby anyway (but buy new nipples).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My daughter is 16 months so she still has hers but my son was about 3 or 4 when I stopped buying them for him...we switched to the non spillable straw cups instead. He used regular cups at home usually but it was "cleaner" for us to use a straw cup in the car or when we went somewhere...I always liked to take drinks with us for the kids. They get thirsty at the darndest times,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My older son is almost 4 and he still uses them. He knows how to use a cup though.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I never did get rid of them because, even though they used regular cups at the table, there were times when sippy cups or other non-spill cups were convenient. My kids switched over to sports bottles when they were toddlers because that's what I would take for them when we went out, and DH and I almost always had a sports bottle with water with us.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My daughter will be 2 in August and she's never really used a sippy cup. She would never drink out of them. So we had to buy her the Take N Toss cups with the straws and she's been using those since she was about 11 months.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010