How can I make it so no bottle at bed time?

My son is 18 months. He was bottlefed only and I took the paci away at 3 months. He has used the bottle for bedtime all along. hell drink a sippy during the day but he drinks less than if it was a bottle. He will not sleep at night without a bottle. He still wakes up a couple times during the night for a bottle. If i dont give it to him he will wake up or scream bloody murder and wont give up no matter how long I let him CIO.
WHAT CAN I DO??

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 3:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep at it momma! It doesn't sound as if you're doing at all badly! My suggestion and the way that i have treated all my children is to keep firm, what I do is everytime they ask for it I give them a sippy cup with the warm milk in and say "No, big boys have sippy cups not bottles" and just keep it up, sounds tiring but it does work. After a week of keeping firm mine have normally forgotten the bottle completely! Another great idea is some sort of reward scheme such as a sticker chart.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I adjusted the bedtime routine so that the bottle was not the last thing before bed. I started giving it to him earlier, then brushing his teeth, then reading stories. Eventually, I just switched it to a sippy instead and he didn't seem to mind. Try to wean him off of using it as a sleep cue first, then when he's adjusted to having it earlier, switch to a sippy.
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 3:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When you figure it out, let me know. My son is 22 months and still wants it to get to sleep at nap and bed. He of course has a 9 month old brother so it doesn't help the situation.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• he will if you give him the opportunity to. He just doesn't know any other way.
    Anonymous

• I assume its like breastfeeding. Thats how my baby was, I just slowly took out feeding sessions at night. And replaced it with a tippy of water. Then I weaned him of the day time sessions. Once they are eating all meals with you it will be easier because he wont be so hungry. Good Luck.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Will do.
    he only has a few teeth right now so im not toooooo worried. but I am glad to hear there are other babies! lol.
    When I see 3 year olds w a bottle and in a diaper I freak out cuz I dont want that for my son. I feel like I put a lot of pressure on him, but I dont want to slack and him fall behind.
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Oh after a while replace the milk in the sippy cup with somethign else, it has to be a phasing thing, good luck!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Start watering down the milk with water until he only gets water at night. And then let him have his bottle of water at night. It is doing no harm. My kids still take sippys of water to bed and they are 4 and 18 months old. I do sometimes too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010