What kind of bread do you give your lactose intolerant kids?

The pediatrician no longer thinks DD just has a sensitivity to lactose and now thinks she's completely lactose intolerant, which makes sense. She was on lactose free formula two weeks after birth when breastfeeding failed and lactose free milk since she was 12 months but she gets lactose from other sources.

I just noticed our whole wheat bread we buy contains milk. I'm wondering what kind of bread you give your lactose intolerant kids? We like to keep to the healthy side of things! I haven't been able to go to the store to look yet, as DH has been working overtime so I'm on here for some opinions first. :)

Honeybun09

Asked by Honeybun09 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My oldest was extremely lactose intolerent. We never had much issue with bread. I've always bought whole grain breads so maybe that helps some.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You should look up Vegan sights!! My sister wa a vegan and one of the things she couldnt eat was milk. The sites gave you a list of milkl free breads and things!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son needs to have breads that are both dairy & gluten free, so I get our breads from Sami's Bakery. For daily use, I typically buy the Millet & Flax bread, http://www.samisbakery.com/products/breads/detail.cfm?id=13, but if you don't need it to be gluten-free, then you may like the Flax for Life bread instead, http://www.samisbakery.com/products/breads/detail.cfm?id=12. You can order directly from the website or, do like I do, and buy it from a local health food store.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Try Whole Foods and stores that sell food for many different allergy issues. Maybe bread without gluten? Food for people wth celiac disease? Check online for the info. They have some good sites out there.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I make my own or we use rice cakes or corn tortilla shells.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Glutino makes wonderful breads, bagals, muffins etc. I find them at Whole Foods or Sunflower Market.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am lactose intolerant and bread doesn't bother me at all. I eat white, raisin, Italian, French, etc. I have also eaten whole wheat and multi grain with no problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• One that is vegan and/or Kosher and Parve.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My DD is lactose intolerant and she has no issue with bread that contains milk.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010