Are you/when do you add cereal to babies bottle?

I have a 2 month old and her grandmother is suggesting putting a little cereal in her milk to hold her during the night. I am not going to; i think she is too young, but wanted to know what any of you were doing and thought.

H2BPREGO

Asked by H2BPREGO at 3:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you start cereal don't put it in her bottle. Use a spoon. It's a choking hazard. I think you're supposed to wait til 6 months but I have given my 3 month old cereal. He's needs more to fill him up.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I've only done this with one of my kids and it was my son...he's a preemie so he has alot of growing to do...I started doing it when he was like 8 months cause or doctor recommended it. I've heard people do it as early as 5 months. Just make sure you don't put tooo much so that it wont clog the bottle.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• never. Don't do it. That's an outdated idea. Babies don't "need" cereal at two months. It's actually better to let them wait longer. My doc said cereal at six months with a spoon.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When the doc says to. My first I had to the first month. He was NOT satisfied and weighing in the teens already. My second was 6 months maybe and not in the bottle by spoon in a bowl. My third about 3 months in a bowl.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You don't put cereal in her bottle. You feed the cereal to her with a baby sized spoon. The only thing that belongs in her bottle is formula.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If baby is of good weight , and Dr is not concerned, cereal is not started yet.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Cereal should only be given if baby has a problem like reflux and then only under a doctor's supervision. It is a choking hazard, and may not do anything in regards to sleep.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We tried it with our first baby around 4 months, and it didn't make him sleep any longer at night. But we started with a spoon around 4 months, gradually thickening it over that first month. Then added the veggies and then fruits to the diet. But the cereal in the bottle doesn't help them sleep longer. They need to eat often, their tummies are small and their main nutrition for the first year is from a liquid.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Adding cereal to the bottle will not make your baby sleep any longer. Put it in a bowl, not the bottle.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Never. Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!! Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010