Ugh... in law vent.

I have great in laws really I do. But they can be really inconsiderate. Like yesterday MIL said she hadn't seen the kids in a while and wanted me to bring them over. When we got there she took dd2 to get sandwiches for five mins, and then went upstairs on her computer for over an hour. I don't even know how to work their tv. Then she wants to go to Sephora, which is forty five minutes away, and have me sit there. Alone with my kids.

then, they want to take dd1 to a party today, and say they'll be here at 430. She calls at two and says we'll be there in five minutes.

I said no. You said 430. I have two small children, and I need help watching them while I get dinner ready.
If I say this, they act like I'm nuts for having a ten year old help. If she had said two to begin with I would've put something in the crockpot.

They will also have us over, and then spend two hours outside playing tennis and ignore us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• If I were invited to someone's home, and they got up and left, I would be out the door before it had time to slam behind them. Why do you sit there when they leave? Just get up and leave, and the next time you are invited, be sure to ask if she is going to be staying in the same room as you. If she isn't, then tell her you aren't coming. You don't have to just sit and wait for her to come back.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If they live close by then I would just leave. As soon as she goes to her computer I would tell her you are leaving.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• On Father's day, she told her dad to be there at two, know full well I wasn't getting there till after nap time, and then left him sit alone while they played tennis. She acts like everyone who comes over wants to watch her play. I don't, and neither does her father. he was bored and lonely by the time I got there. I was a little mad, but I can never figure out how to say anything.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Wow thats how it is at my aunts house they invite you over and pretend like you are not there you sit there and wonder how come you did not just stay home. Sorry that sucks.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• wow that sucks... The only advice I can give is to cut visits short or to take something to do ( like a puzzle) while visiting ..

My MIL was like that too... we only go to see them twice a month because we live in different cities... well we would go all that way every other saturday and we literally spend 20 minutes there before she would get ready to go to BINGO ..and then we would be left there to see ourselves out...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• maybe she finds spending time with the kids overwhelming, even though she wants to see them. Maybe she was trying to get away from the situation.
    as far as the wanting to show up 2 hours early, she sounds a little clueless to me.
    maybe if you spoke to her about them spending time playing tennis and all that - tell them you don't appreciate it and see where it gets you.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010