Do all the colors in your house need to flow?

Just wondering because my mom made the comment that she just painted a room and didn't like it because the colors didn't flow well with the other colors in her house. I am doing some remodeling / redecorating and now wondering if my house is going to look right??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My mom is the same way. The colors don't have to match, but the kitchen needs to look right with the living room which needs to look right with the hall which needs to look right with the bedroom and so on.
    Me, I don't care. If I owned my home and were to paint, I'd just go with color I like.
    As it is now, the walls are a horrible yellow, and the other stuff (furniture, curtains and such) don't match or "flow" but I like them. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have a tan living room/kitchen, a blue master bedroom, a light purple room for DD a blue bath room and a tan guest bedroom. as long as they are different rooms I don't see a problem. Like if my kitchen as yellow while the living room is tan I wouldn't like it because they are connected (no door in between them)
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 4:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• not in my house. upstairs is muted/mellow but the kids playroom downstairs in neon green... lol
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would really like for all the colors and decor in my house to flow...just havent had the money to get it exactly the way I want it though,lol. But if money was no object...yes I would more than likely have every room entwined with one another somehow.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The living areas all flow together. My bedroom goes with the rest of the house, but it has some more soothing colors for it and the master bathroom so it feels like a retreat. Each of the kids' rooms is exactly what they wanted, and we went all out. We hired a muralist to make a complete theme for them. One has a space room and one had a dinosaur room.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I like all the colors used in living areas that run into one another to "flow". So, kitchen, dining area, living room have a common color scheme. Our family room is separate so it can be different and I don't care if every bedroom is different.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it depends on the layout of your house. Our dining room, kitchen, and living room are more separate than some newer houses that have more of the great room feel. So our rooms are all painted different. My aunt's house on the other hand, the kitchen and living room are all basically one room with a large arch separating them. Her house needs to flow well or it would look stupid.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think they should flow but I dont follow the rule in my house! My liv room is wheat or gold and kitchen and dining are terracotta but dd's room is dusty rose and you can see it from the other rooms and it does bother me, but she loves it so I wouldnt change it!
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 5:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think on the main floor they should flow--especially if you have an open floor plan. If you have closed off rooms with doors and dividing walls, you can get away with your room colors not flowing. I think the colors should be harmonious from every angle that you can see--otherwise it can look too "choppy" and "busy."

One "trick" to making the flow harmonious...is paint the center or largest room/space a neutral color--like tan, cream, white, ivory (soft colors work best), that way every room around it will "coordinate" with the neutral room that touches it.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I like the colors to compliment each other and don't like the rooms that are open to each other to clash.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2010