do you worry about parasites when you take your kids to rivers and lakes?

i was watching a discovery channel show the other night that said up to 95% of all bodies of water in the us contain parasites that are potentially life threatening to young children and anyone with a compramised immune system. also does pregnancy put you in the compramised immune system category?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 4:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Health

• No I never did... I think the thing I worried the most about was the snakes.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i dont think being pregnant does. my biggest worry about parasites at rivers is leeches. most of them wont kill you though, just gross.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When I was kid I never thought about anything like that. We used to go knee boarding in ditches when it would rain! looking back I can't believe I did it! Even swimming in our harbor, YUCK! The water is a deep brown color. I'll take DD to the beach a few towns away but I refuse to go in our beach.
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 4:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• no im talking about parasites that grow in your body and cause diahrea and vomiting and dehydration and death.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I only worry about it when one of the kids have a open boo-boo...like a cut on thier hand or foot or a scrape or something because it allows easier access for these parasites. Ew..it is a gross thought...the dicovery channel opens a persons eyes to a lot more than we ever care to know about sometimes,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No. Our immune systems are good. We live in a filthy world and my kids must live in it. We can't put ourselves in a bubble. Handwashing and taking care as to what we eat and drink other than that we put ourselves at risk like most folks.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• we never swim in non-flowing bodies of water...ex. a cattle stock pond, and man made lakes.
    we do however swim in the ocean & flowing rivers.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 5:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• but all it takes is swallowing a teaspoon of water with a live parasite..... has nothing to do with open boo boos.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• when I read the headline of the question I was thinking parasites like my ex husband, ooops sorry, lol
    I never gave it much thought now that you bring it up I will be thinking about that next time my kids are in a lake
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No I never have. We've been going for years. Our immune systems are all healthy, and I see no reason to stop going.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2010