Boys and Girls Clubs,Is it really a good place for kids?

I am going to be working part time this fall. I have a 10 yr old and am considering where to send her for an hour or so after school is out. We have a local boys and girls club that will pick the kids up from school and transport them to the club and offers after school activities. Is boys and girls club a good choice?
Just a side note here, have been a sahm since my dd was born.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 4:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in

• Every Boys and Girls Club is different--the program directors, the staff and those who attend, so you really need to check out the B&G club you are planning on sending your child to. Ask them what kinds of activities they will offer for afterschool kids, and if they will be structured/planned and supervised activities or will they be "free for alls?!"

I was an Aquatics Director at a B&G club in Boston, and we offered ALL KINDS of solid programming for children--whether they were there for a hour or two or all day--weekends, school vacations, snow days, etc. The programming was very flexible, and the children made lots of friends, and it was a much more productive way to spend a few hours than watching TV!

My children's school district contracts with our local Y in offering before and after school programming for working parents at very low rates. I think they can be GREAT alternatives! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My parents used to send me there when i was little honestly i hated it but its been years so it might have changed
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Go visit and see if there is appropriate supervision, what activiites there are, if you like the "feel" of it, how the program is run, etc. Take your daughter with you. My son went after school once in awhile but grew tired of it. There was not enough supervision to zero in on the kids who were bored or on the quiet side. I would imagine some are run very well. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree that they are probably all very different. I have heard great things about them, but the one in our town is terrible. There is little supervision and the kids are usually from poorer families and seem to get into a lot of trouble.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010