Do(es) your child(ren) have free range in your house?

Meaning, are they allowed in any room?

Our son is, with the exception of the garage, because that's where daddy's tools are (and he's bad about putting them away) and where the litter boxes are kept (don't want to walk in there finding my son playing in them, ha!). But otherwise, he is allowed anywhere, because we really don't have anything that we need to worry about him getting into. He doesn't go into our bedroom much however, unless it's to sleep and he pretty much sticks close to us anyway. Our house also has an open floor plan.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. I was raised that way too. I had a friend growing up who wasn't allowed in her parents room, and always had to knock and wait for a reply before she was allowed in. They also had to ask for food. where in my house we got whatever we wanted out of the fridge without asking. All the food in the fridge belonged to everyone also. In her house certain things were certain people and off limits.... very strange to me and still is
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 5:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes, of course! its his house, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes now that they are older 8 and 9 they are allowed anywhere. When they were younger they were only allowed the living room when awake. This really was more and less for their safety. My kids are 10 months apart so I would only allow them in the living room, unless they were eating, when they were awake. We used baby gates to keep them in the living room. I couldn't worried about what my 10th old was doing if I was feeding the newborn. When they got a little older we allowed them to be anywhere but the bathroom and our bedroom. As they got older that banned was lifted; For our bedroom if the door is open they are are allowed in our out, we sleep with our door open. However there are times were it's shut AND locked...this is because we don't want them in! If the door is shut they are to knock! If they shut their door we knock. As for food: They MUST ask!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Not in my bedroom or my daughter room
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• She's pretty much allowed anywhere around here. Of course, she has to tell me why she's planning to go to my bedroom, but she does from time to time to get jewelry out of the box, to get my heels to add to her dress up playing and stuff like that, plus, it's where she naps since it's darker in there.
    She's 5 and isn't banned from any room of the home.
    She pretty much sticks to the living room with me though, unless she wants to play or watch tv in her room.
    Ours is also pretty open, and there's no garage or anything, it's just a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath trailer.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Not allowed to go to the basement by themselves (they think its creepy anyway) and i dont want them to roam my room when Im not in it I have things organized so I dont want a mess
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 5:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yup........they can go wherever
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• When my kids were very small we sometimes closed certain doors at certain times (like when my son decided playing in the cat litter was fun), but once they were old enough to open those doors themselves they had free range.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My kids can go into any room they want in my house although if they're in my bedroom I normally ask them why they're there.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 6:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• She is not allowed in the garage or the laundry room without us.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010