When visiting friends, do you feel obligated to bring something?

Say you are going over to a friends for lunch, dinner, coffee, or just a visit. Do you feel like you (or the guest) should bring something for their hosts? What is appropriate to bring?

When would you NOT expect (or bring) something?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If it's just a visit, then no, nothing is expected. If it's a big family type get together, yeah, I'd like everyone to bring a little something, and I do as well. Even if it's just a couple 2 liters of soda, ice, cups, plates, some side, or dessert, something should be brought.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I always feel obligated to bring something. I like to bring something because we will be having food/drinks there, and it is nice to receive something different from others.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I always call and say "What can I bring?"
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• For lunch, no; for dinner, I feel like I should bring a bottle of wine or something.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If I am going to someone's house for dinner, yes I always bring something. But if I'm just stopping at a friends house during the day for a play date or something I don't usually bring anything. Sometimes I'll bring stuff for all of the kids though...like water guns, or balloons or stuff to make cupcakes with.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I always ask what would they like me to bring, and if they say nothing, I bring something anyway, usually a candle or something for the host.
    Pam2u4u

Answer by Pam2u4u at 6:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I was raised to always bring something. even if they say its ok that I don't

I just do it automatically. usually its a coffee and timbits (I only really end up going out to playdates during the day)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No, not for a simple visit. If it's a lunch or dinner party for a group of our friends than I'll ask whichever friend is hosting if they could use some help - either by coming early and setting up or by bringing along a dessert, drinks, or appetizer. If I'm at a friend's house longer than expected and they invite me and my kids to eat with them then I'll help cook and clean up.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If we have been invited over for a meal I always ask what I can bring. Sometimes people say nothing, but I still bring at least a bottle of wine, or a dessert. If I am just visiting with a friend then I don't feel obligated to bring anything, but if invited for a meal or some kind of special occasion I just think it is polite to offer and even if they say they have everything taken care of to at least bring a plate of cookies or something to share.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010