Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mold in my apartment for the second time

today i found black mold under my sink. I had black mold in my first apartment and they move me to a different apartment this was about two months ago. I'm not sure what to do should i code a health inspector, call corporate, the managment is not very good here they made a huge deal when i found mood in my first apartment and told me that it was not dangerous to mine or my childs health. I dont no what i should do?

Answer Question
 
kahlynsmommy1

Asked by kahlynsmommy1 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Health

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Call the renters association they can help :)
    nickynova

    Answer by nickynova at 6:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

  • I had this problem when I was in my one apartment. They 'cleaned' it up and said it wouldn't bother us. The mold came back. They 'cleaned' it up and it came back. My son was having allergy issues at the time and I just got tired of dealing with this problem so I moved.
    layh41407

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

  • not so sure that it's not dangerous- I've always heard that it is very dangerous and they will condem buildings for it.
    I'd get pictures, and or videos of what it looks like, recording dates and the like.
    I'd send a email to those that told you that the mold wasn't dangerous, mentioning that they said so, and see what they write back.
    that way you have it in writing.

    have you showed pictures to the health department to see what they say?

    ItsMe89

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

  • where i live they wont do anything about it because we live in a high mold area so its not part of the housing codes. we bleach the walls and averywhere where there is mold and paint with killz every six months. kills has lye in it so it keeps the mold from regrowing for up to a year and you can get it at jerrys or home depot.
    cassie_m

    Answer by cassie_m at 6:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

  • Not all mold is toxic. Its not good for you, but most wont really hurt you. I would recommend having a mold inspection done to see what type it is and if its dangerous then definitely call the health dept. and move. The landlord may even have to pay your moving costs. If its not toxic Im not sure you can do anything, but the health dept can help you with that.

    We are going through a mold issue with our house right now. We moved in and loved the place. Now we have mold and fungus growing all over our molding and in our bathroom, coming out the walls. It IS toxic and we DID get an inspection to prove it. The problem can not be fixed with us living here so we are moving this week. Its a huge headache, literally.
    Good luck! If you have questions, let me know where you live and I can try to help!
    Aqua_Jen

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN