Are there certain values that will affect the way you will/have talk to your kid(s) about sex?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 7:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No,I will be as blunt as I can.Wrap it,or don't do it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We are faithful Catholics and our christian faith most definitely influences how we view sex. While I think waiting until marriage is ideal I know it isn't realistic. I will teach our children to wait until you are in a committed relationship and responsible, both financially and emotionally to deal with the possiblity of a surprise pregnancy. This means NO teen sex. We have got to stop teaching our kids to follow the "feel good." Life is about so much more than living for the moment. I will also teach them what our faith teaches about gay sex and how it is important to not dislike and disapprove of the person, only of the lifestlye. Ideally, we would all keep sex in the bedroom and everyone would be much happier.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Probably.....I'll encourage my kids to wait to have sex until they're married. It is a sacred thing that shouldn't be shared with multiple people (my opinion/beliefs). I will let them know about the risks of STD's and getting pregnant and what challenges you face when those things happen. I'll let them know that I waited until marriage, and that because I did, I didn't have to worry about STD's or being a single mom or a mom at a young age.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I speak openly about sex with my kids - it's a fact of life and it is not going to go away. It's not something that should be treated as though it is bad or dirty. I do encourage them to wait until marriage, but the reality of the situation is, with 4 kids, the chances are that a couple of them won't. I will give them all the knowledge they need to make informative decisions and hope for the best. If they chose to engage in such activity, and I know about it, I will make sure they are protected.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Are there values I will teach her? Yes I will teach her to value herself and not let her hormones guide her. I will not stress waiting past 17 because I think that at that age you know what you want to do and can understand responsibility. I do not think marriage is for everyone so obviously I won't tell her to wait until marriage. I think everyone who teaches their child not have random sex is teaching them a value.

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes, but they are not religious.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Respect. Respect or the young lady they are dating. Respect for her family. Respect for the fact that girl is someone's daughter, sister, niece, grand daughter, and friend. Respect for themselves. Respect for his parents and brothers.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think we will all be sharing our values, whether they are religious or philosophical. I don't think we can avoid doing so. I will teach our kids the pros and cons of every form of birth control available, and also natural family planning (mucus method and temperature method). I'll also talk to them about the pros and cons of abstinence (which I favor) until marriage.

I am a nurse, and no method of birth control is perfect. Condoms allow people to have safer sex, but it is not correct to say that it is safe. I think that is misleading. They have been shown to have cracks or tears that are large enough for the HIV virus to pass through. The values that will affect the way I talk about this are influenced by my religious beliefs and what I have learned in my professional training.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

THIS!!!! GREAT ANSWER!!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I began with the biology of it, discussed at length with both my children the issues of safety for themselves and others and the entire time stressed the need for respect--both for themselves and others. Teaching or expecting abstinence is unrealistic (sad but true). As a practicing Catholic I encouraged both my children to wait until they were involved with someone they truly loved, respected and could realistically envision a lifetime with. Their father and I have deep philosophical differences when it comes to this issue so I did my best to temper Mr. "Do it because it feels good", with responsibility and respect. They are now both adults and I imagine may have made the decision to be sexually intimate (both have been dating/involved with the same SO for years). One thing I did specify was waiting until high school was over before testing these waters--I am pretty sure they did.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010