How open are you with your tween regarding "birds and bees"?

and whoever came up with that term anyway?? lol

Anyway, I am wondering how honest and open most parents are with their children regarding puberty, maturity, sex, and all those totally uncomfortable topics?

I am very open and honest with my son personally. He is almost 11 and I answer his questions honestly and am as candid as I can be with him. I was raised in a "if we don't talk about it then it won't happen" kind of household. I love my parents, but it really makes me angry that they were not honest and open and I didn't feel like I could talk to them about important and personal things.

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 7:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I answer all questions that my children ask me as honestly and as sincerely as I possibly can. The way I see it is that if I am not honest with them in every respect possible then how can I expect them to be honest with me? It's the same as respect, goes both ways. However I think that up until a certain age you don't need to go into FULL detail.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes 100% open about it with my ten year old. She rolls her eyes at me and says...tell me this all again in a few years mom lol
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• extremely and we have always been that way. my dd is 10 and when she has questions we answer them as honestly and age appropriately as possible!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Probably more honest than she wants me to be. I'll tell her the truth and not sugar-coat it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010