Do you plan menus in advance?

I honestly wonder how many moms do this! I have said I am going to start planning menus 1-2 weeks ahead of time and I never do, and I have been saying it for a loooon time. lol

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 7:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No, but I use the woman's day month of menus as a basic plan for my shopping lists. I cross of whatever we don't want and add anything that sounds good, but it makes menu planning quick and easy.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I kind of do: this week there will be chicken caesar salad, hamburgers, sauteed chicken, pasta salad, pizza, scrambled eggs, and either hot dogs or sloppy joes. But I don't know until that day which it's going to be, or what the side dishes are gonna be.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I try to do one every week. I find that I can't really think farther ahead than that! :)
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• not totally

I write down meal idea, write out my grocery list from that, then do the shopping
    then mark the meals off the list as I cook them.

I don't actually assign meals to days though.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• not really, but i have to think of what kind of meals i want for the week when i go to the grocery store (especially meats). if i don't then i'm stuck with alot of things that could 'almost' be a meal but have to run back to the store for the one or two missing ingredients lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I do it for usually 3 - 4 weeks at a time. I have a HUGE list of things my family will eat (not picky eaters). The week before shopping I will go through my pantry/freezer/fridge and take inventory. Then I will pull as many meals out of that inventory as possible and add other meals as needed to make up 3 or 4 weeks' worth. I'll create a shopping list from that list of meals, crossing off what I already have on hand, and go shopping! This saves me a lot of grocery money! Last time I spent just under $200 for 4 weeks' worth of meals, paper products and soaps for 7 people. I've got my list started for the next 4 weeks but don't have the prices together yet.

I keep track of meal plans using the website www.mealsmatter.org. I also print them off and post it on my fridge so that I can see what I need to prepare ahead of time and so that my family doesn't nag me about what's for dinner.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I try to, at the beginning of the week I'll put up a chart on the refrigerator. Then on Friday I'll realise I haven't stuck to it even once.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I never do that..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• no never worked for me and anyways you can't please everyone... I don't know how many times I made a few different menus in the same night.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I want to, but my husband is so picky and i'm fed up with him not being in the "mood" for something....it's BS, and I get so frustrated, so every night is a struggle to figure out what this man will freaking eat!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010