Anyone ever heard of Hemihypertrophy or Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome?

What do you think of first when you first find out a child has a rare birth defect? Do you automatically assume it is because of something the mom did during the pregnancy?

**BTW, I am not judging ANYONE... my child has these very rare conditions... most people assume it is because of something I did, and it is very very hurtful**

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Health

• Not at all, I always presume that it is just the fact that sometimes these things happen! I'm sorry that people judge you harshly and I really feel for you. May God bless you and your child/children with wonderful friends and no judgements, people are just ignorant, you should ignore them and never let them get to you. Best wishes.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• they would simply be uneducated, not necessarily assumptive of wrong-doing on your part. this is a great chance to educate them on these issues. i'm sure they be grateful you enlightened them.
    i even asked my dh (a pharmacist for 24ys) if he'd heard of them...not that he knows it all, but i thought he'd know more than i would. he didn't.
    sorry, people are 'ignorant'!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No I dont assume its the mohter My nephew has Hemihypertrophy. The right half of his body is bigger then his left. its barely noticible. I didnt know till he was like 15 and my sister told me about it. But it was noticible when he stuck out his tounge.

If it was really the mother shouldnt all of her 5 kids have that probably or some kind of problem but only one does and hes the second oldest. I know my sister and the only thing she did wrong with her kids was marry that looser of a husband LOL.
    Darkdevinity

Answer by Darkdevinity at 7:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• sry i apologize hes not a looser sorry for being mean. He just asks looserish most of the time
    Darkdevinity

Answer by Darkdevinity at 8:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would never blame the mother. Many conditions are genetic and sometime you don't even know that you are a recessive carrier (or your partner is) until the baby is diagnosed.
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 10:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am an Nicu nurse, so I see quite a few things. I do not think anything negative when I hear these words. Anomalies happen, even when care and a pregnancy are text book perfect. Good luck to your family.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010