Is it hard to keep chickens as pets?

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to have a few chickens. The back yard is fenced and I'd only have 2-3 laying hens. I'm curious to know how difficult/easy they are to care for.

FrogSalad

Asked by FrogSalad at 8:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pets

• We have 12 adult hens and just got 12 chicks. We use them for eggs, not for meat. They are fairly easy to take care of. You need a good strong fenced pen, a chicken coop and depending on where you live, you may need overhead netting to keep eagles and hawks out. They have to be fed and watered every day so they do take work. And if you live in a cold climate they take more work in the winter., we run lights out to the coop for winter so they will keep laying. But they are fun to have, we let ours roam the yard in the summer to eat the bugs. But they do get chicken poop all over if you do that and they will get into your flowers and garden if you don't have it fenced off
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 1:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• chickens are pretty easy to take care of as long as you can handle the smell of chicken poop. You need to make sure they have water and food all the time and somewhere to lay their eggs. You would also need somewhere secure to put them at night so that the wild critters don't get them. Also in the winter they need to have a warm place to call home.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• LOL I read that as "Is it hard to keep CHILDREN as pets!" OOPS!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We have chickens and I don't find it hard, providing you have a sturdy hen house and enough room, they're absollutely fine. Including the essentials like food of course.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• chickens are super easy! give them a box with some hay and feed them from time to time. make sure they have water. they will eat bugs too, which is nice.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have had them and they really are quite dirty animals...if you leave them loose in the yard they poop all over the place.Yuck!! Its nice to get the fresh eggs...so much better than buying them at the store. But one thing...if you end up getting roosters...they are usually fine when they are young but as they get older they can be really MEAN... every rooster we had ended up this way as he was a few years old.... I remember one chasing my children and pecking them so hard it put red lines down their legs...................we got rid of em.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• well raccoons are the worst part! they will kill chickens left and right!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It's probably as easy as cloth diapers and organic home made Ramen Noodles
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 8:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• They are not hard to raise they are just irrating. My husband refuses to put them in a cage or fence so they roam free and of course b/c of that I can not have flowers or anything
    Hiswife169

Answer by Hiswife169 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• oh and chicken poop I heard is a great fertilizer for tomatoes plant.... haven't tried it but I am sure it works (have heard it multiple times!!!!)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2010